What follows okra?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a raised bed I grew okra and volunteer cukes in last year. I'd like to sew my salad greens,radishes and carrots in this bed but my books do not give me a crop rotation to follow okra. Companions are egg plants and bells peppers but those won't go in until warmer weather and I want use this bed now.

P

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You should not have any problems. Okra is somewhat unique in that it does not share many disease pathogens with other vegetables. I do move mine around but never worry about what is planted behind it. Now companion planting is a nother story. It is a tall competitive plant, which will choke down shorter less competitive plants.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Farmerdill. Glad to know I can get some salad makin's in that area.My okra last year were monsters. Should I ammend the bed with anything in particular before planting short term/cool weather crops? I'm mostly an ornamental grower. Although I've piddled at veggie going before,I'm still consider myself a newbee veggie grower.

P

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends on conditions. I always amend. A little composted cow manure never hurts. Of course I plant on a fairly large scale and use mostly granular fertilizers and green manure to maintain fertility. On a small scale like raised beds it is hard to beat compost. The plants that you mention are not very Ph sensitive, so you probably don't have to worry on that end.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No cows but plenty of horse and donkey punkies*G*

Thanks again,
P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.