Pinch Thunbergia?

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

I have several of these in peat pots under lights in my basement that I started from seed.They are about 3 inches tall. Has anyone ever pinched these? I'm afraid I started them too early,and will get too tall before I can plant them outside.
Thanks,
Gail

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't see how you would hurt anything by 'pinching' them, but I'd recommend doing it with a sharp, steralized razor blade instead of your fingers.

Denver, CO

Our local greenhouses pinch them to help them branch and inrease fullness.
I use a candle to quickly sterilize scissors/cutters.
K.J.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much ! I will be performing the needed surgery this evening..

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The problem with 'clippers' and 'pinchers' is that it crushes the tissue, setting up conditions for possible disease - better to use a sterile and SHARP razor blade - most professional growers use a box cutter to cut their material!!!!

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh,dear. I pinched the thunbergia as recommended and now it is putting out blooms.It is only about 4 inches high. Should I pinch off any blooms so it puts its energy into growing more leaves?
This same thing happened when I pinched a Pearly Gates Morning Glory last year. It stayed about 4 inches high and only put out 2 or 3 blooms,then died.
Thanks!
Gail

Thumbnail by golgi
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

yes keep it from blooming until it gets bigger.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks,tigerlily,I'll go nip that bud off right now!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Questions - Did the vines not grow because it was allowed to bloom? Is pinching a recommended practice with these vines? If you're going to plant these in a hanging basket, say 10" to 12", how many plants can be planted in one pot?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well beaker there are 2 viewpoints : Yours = 10 plants
Your DH = 2plants

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, don't confuse me with your DW.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My wife and I fight over whose plants get to ride in the wind free area and whose have to ride in the back seat with the dogs. Our truck rarely comes home when it is not full. We have started a new shopping plan: The person who has the fewest plants purchased gets to have the other take them out to a dinner of their choice. This makes us take back all but what we need. DW loves to go to expensive places and I like to eat at the greasy spoon and have fry bread.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't see how you could avoid NOT cutting them back. All the vines that I start in late March would be a mess-intertwined together if I didn't hack them back lol. I am talking about moonvine, thunbergia ....mind is blank...but there are others.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.