Hardy climbing vine for trellis

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm new to gardening in general, and to climbers specifically. I'd like something hardy enough to withstand our hot and humid climate (zone 8B, S. TX). Flowering, fragrant and preferably blue or white. Is that too much to ask for? Any suggestions?

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Let's see what the "pros" say, but I'm a big one for Confederate Jasmine......evergreen, flowers & fragrance. For blue I like thunbergia grandiflora (sky flower) but it does die back. What about combining the two???
Barbara

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Honeysuckle is in its element with the conditions and requirements you specify - depending on the variety, it blooms in yellow/white, red/white or pink. It stays green year around and has no pest problems.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Blue Pea Vine...beautiful royal blue - the hotter it is - the better they like it! There are varities that have a fragrance.
White Coral Vine- again- dont believe it has a scent- but they love it hot- -
Moon flowers- big white flowers that open at dusk- very fragrant.
Rj

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! Thanks all for the input. Now all I have to do is look them all up and decide........

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

The blue pea vine interests me, but I can't find it here on DG. Is there another name for it?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes.Butterfly Pea, Blue Pea Vine Clitoria ternatea

Sorry...I always forget about the butterfly part...seems like too many plants with the title of butterfly in it.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/528/index.html

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

THANKS!!!!!!! Is it really as blue as it looks in the pictures????? That's perfect! It's so hard to get a truly blue flower.

I see someone wrote that it's drought tolerant. Will it also withstand standing water? That part of my yard is shallow and when the rainy season hits, it can stay wet for days.

I'm also considering a climbing rose there. Any fragrant variety would be the right one, regardless of color :o)

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I am a big fan of the potato vine. They are very hardy, grow quickly, but do not have any noticeable fragrance.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Solanaceae/Solanum_jasminoides.html

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh it is even bluer if you can imagine...When you go outside it immediantly catches your eyes- Sometimes I just stand there and stare at them in the sunlight. As far as the water... yes I believe so.. They seem to be heavy drinkers, and I/ve never lost any to too much water. Not enough water mabe... Here is a pict of mine in September.. It really never died over winter. The best part of those guys ..is they can grow in the smallest of pots. I wonder if they like their roots crowded. I just planted this one in the ground last week- will see how it does.

The potato vines are very cool and they love it hot. Each year a particular plant excels because of the weather conditions and what not, so I name each year after the plant that thrives the most in my yard and around the neighborhood. The year before was Year of the night jasmine - Last year was the year of the Potato Vine . I have a bucket..yes one whole bucket of big potato vine seeds. Last year I had left over seeds in the green house and they all send out shooters. I read in a Houston Gardening book that they are from South America - and adapted themselves to our region - dying back totally in the winter and growing back again in the summer.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! Thanks for the pic. I think that's the one for me. I'm near the Woodlands, my zone is 8B. Hope that's not too cold. Do they stay evergreen? Leaves in winter? Flowers when?

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Darn it, anyway! The bluest of blue and I don't live in the right zone for it.

What a wonderful vine. I envy anyone who could have this beauty growing in their garden.

Edited to change the word growning into growing..........I was groaning at the time I typed this reply.....I would love to be able to have a VERY blue vine growing in my garden......then I wouldn't be growning....er.....I mean groaning.;^)

This message was edited Feb 11, 2006 8:26 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd like to get some seeds for this. I'm new here at Dave's is there a place I can request seeds, rather than post seeds to trade?????

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

OH ...Magnolia!!!! Yes. I know exactly where it is. I have a friend remodeling a small place there now. I went up and stayed a couple of months ago. It/s an A frame house they bought for a second weekend home. I plan to spend a few weekends there hanging out this summer. What a lovely lovely place you live in!! Its by the renesaince festival isn/t it?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They will stay green in a warm year, but normally will loose their leaves..and come right back as soon as it get slightly warm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.