Freecycle Those Items You Don't Want

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Any Freecyclers here?

For those of you who don't know, www.freecycle.org is a "recycling" group of sorts. It's a national thing with small groups all over the country. There's one freecycle group right in my city and one in a neighboring city. Others are within 45 minutes to an hour of me. You can go to the site and find one near you or even consider starting your own group in your own town.

The purpose of Freecycle is to recycle items that might otherwise end up in the city landfill. For instance, prescription bottles are often tossed. But they're great to keep seeds, buttons, and beads, other craft items in. A kid's bike that you no longer want might be just right for somebody else's kid. Clothes or furniture you no longer want may be needed by someone else. You wouldn't believe the stuff people give away. I got a nice rubbermaid compost bin on wheels for free from a freecycler. And I've given away tons of stuff that I would have thought no one would have wanted. They saved me many trips to the dump!

The way it works is you post on your local group (on the internet) what you have to offer and other members of your group email you if they want it. You choose who gets it. You can also post a Wanted post in which you list some things you're looking for, within reason, of course. EVERYTHING must be FREE, no buying, selling, or trading. Every item is no strings attached.

Our local group meets every other Saturday and exchanges items. I don't attend the meetings and I stipulate in my posts that the recipients must pick the items up at my house. Most people will come when they say they will, but a few never show, never call. So then I reoffer the items.

It's a great way to De-Clutter. And it may just save you the hassle of carting stuff off to Goodwill or the landfill. You might even get something great.

I don't know if it's the national rule, but in our group, your first post must be an offer, not a want, in the spirit of giving.

If you are a Freecycler, what are some of the things you've given and some of the things you've received?

This thread has 38 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!