Question about growing rack

Fort Worth, TX

HI All,

I'm new to Dave's Forum & had a question. I just recently bought a 4-tier growing rack that has the plastic covering over it (can be unzipped to let out heat). My question is, when I start seeds in it, do I still need to cover them with plastic wrap or a dome even though they're under the plastic covering? I've e-mailed the company I bought the rack from, but haven't received a reply. Also, how warm should the soil be for the seeds to germinate? I want to make sure that it isn't too hot (live in Texas and it gets warm here early).

Thanks for any advice!!
Rita Schiavone

Thumbnail by ozone3
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Rita, my climate is so different from yours that I can'g really be of much help. I'm in zone 5 and have two of those you show in your photo. I start my seeds in my small gh over a heat mat for those that need heat. My two growing racks like yours are still stored overhead in the garage. When they are brought down will be used in my passageway from house to garage. Need some shade to keep from getting two hot when sun shines on them. especially if I am not home. I have used my first one for 3 years and the second one for 2 years. They are a big help.

DonnaS

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Rita, it's very easy for plants to fry in these covered shelves (I've done it in mine). Personally, I wouldn't add any additional covering to anything put in there. I'd make sure that you have your shelves under shade. If you have a thermometer, I'd put it in there especially with our wacky weather right now.

Fort Worth, TX

Thanks SandiTX. I think the 1st set of seeds I put out, I did completely fry. Luckily, it was only herb seeds, so I'm not overly upset. I'm trying again, but starting the seeds in the house and transferring them outside into the growing rack after they've germinated. I've also moved the rack so it is completely out of the sun (up next to the house under a covered porch). I just put a thermometer out there today so I can keep an eye on the temperature.

Thanks again!!
Rita S.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2006 10:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.