Superthrive

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Have any of youn used Superthrive?

If so how did you like it?

Paul

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

It really works on plants . I recently purchased and started to use it on plants . My coleus is growing like it normally grows outdoors. My hoya and stephanotis has set new buds .The persian shield is starting to come alive. My miniature African Violet flowers are larger than normal.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I just bought a bottle of it yesterday and then came home and read some of the DG threads that made me think I made a mistake! We shall see...

I am waiting to hear what everyone says!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I did some research on it---the active indgredients are the same as those in miracle=grow and a thousand other lower cost fertilizers.....unfortunately this science degree I got just really brings out the "questioning" in me. I don't think its worth the price, personally....and I was checking to see if it was organic.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, one drop to a gallon means that little $7. bottle goes a long way. I use the syringe I got at the Vets. to make it easier to get that one drop.
I do see a difference when I use it and have no idea whats in it.
Neighbors hire folks that come in tank trucks and spray it on every thing. It all has to get to our 22' water table as the sand here perks at 55mph.
Sidney

Hooks, TX

The pharmacy at Walmart sold me a glass bottle with dropper for $ .25.
Until then, I just poured a tiny amount in the lid of the Superthrive bottle and poured all back except a drop or two. Then put a drop from the lid in the gallon jug, poured any left over back in the bottle.

But the quarter was a good buy !

Louise

dmj-- what research did you find? I have not been able to find out much aboutSuperthrive google-ing... just that a fellow out in Los Angeles (who is about 90 years old) mixed up the potion about 50 years ago...

He invented a number of potions and vitamin solutions though the years, but has only kept Superthrive on the market...

Nothing about what is actually in that one tiny drop that you put in a gallon of water? Sounds too miniscule to make a difference, but maybe not...

So, what's in it?! Please tell.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

paulgrow, does snake oil mean anything.

Well, I did a little more research about the naphthylacetic acid and the Vitamin B-1 ingredients in Superthrive.

naphthylacetic acid is known as a plant hormone and in tiny doses mixed with water can regulate growth in plants, similarly, or the same as, auxins regulate plant growth. The results are graphed on a bell curve in terms of amount of NAA in the solution-- that is, more does not necessarily mean better. Likewise, more time in the solution does not necessarily mean better results.

Vitamin B-1 or Thiamine can also affect growth if used in small amounts.

Both are used in various rooting compounds.

I don't know what else is in Superthrive. Apparently the Japanese did some research back in the 1930's about acids and plant growth hormones and perhaps this is related to the invention of Superthrive in California. Just speculation...

The package certainly give the impression it's snake oil, but it looks like many people, especially those involved in forestry, orchids, roses, and turf management use it, especially for transplant soaks and root cuttings. I could not find any scientific research on Superthrive itself.

Thanks Tabasco for going all out to find more about Superthrive !
Several years ago when one of my customers gave me some superthrive I wasn't sure I trusted the stuff. Now that I have read many testimonies and used the Superthrive I am a believer! I don't care what a few disbelievers think. I know I have money well spent. I will use Superthrive in a most intelligent way.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 5:56 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've only used it once and I liked the results.. I will keep trying and see :)

Susan

This message was edited Feb 15, 2006 8:07 AM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks to ll of you for you input.

Paul

paulgrow, tabasco, there is a site that sell auxins, cytokinins, such as gibberyllic acid, benzylaminopurine, NAA, IBA ,etc. it is so much cheaper to mix your own. they tell you how and how much. I made up my own last year. rooting hormone, growth regulators. for pennies rather than big dollars. if you are interested let me know. I don't get any kind of kickback for this. other than a few free samples. hostajim1

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

What is the site?

Paul

thanks, hostajim-- I think I was on that site when i was researching... very intersting...but can't find it now.

do you use a LOT of vitamins and such on your plants?

I

This message was edited Feb 16, 2006 11:14 PM

I visited the canadian website hostajim was refering to . It was like taking a chemistry class .I found it to be some what overwhelming with facts and figures. On the other hand this site was extremely helpful. It was clearly evident that the business was not just out there to make a sell. The site is: www.super-grow.biz

This message was edited Feb 16, 2006 11:11 PM

tobasco, I do use a lot of nutrients on all my plants, I am building a large collection of Hostas and shade plants in one area. and I have a fruit and vegetable garden in the sunny area. I live on 2 1/2 acres with 2nd growth douglas fir, cedar, maples. I make up manure tea in the spring through summer season. I use a 32 gal garbage can. with an aquarium heater, and a bubbler. in my basement I have a plant stand that I made with 5 shelves. that I keep seedlings, cuttings. and I'm starting to do tissue culture that I went to a workshop put on by kitchenculturekits.com , the plants that I'm focusing on are Hostas. I found the protocol from a Hosta enthusiast that has a track record. he has done 60 cultivars allready. so anyway, I guess I'm really into the horticulture scene, hostajim1

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

I'm a newbie at propagation except for spider plants, violets and any other thing you found on your Grandma's windowsill. But would like to try my hand a something a little more difficult. I get a ton of plant/supply catalogs with just as many different rooting hormones. I would imagine that propagation is possible without them, but perhaps faster if used.
Help? Which one? Where do I find it?

The best locally available hormone is Dip'N Grow . Tests have proven
this product and nurseries have used it nationwide. Michael Dirr's Book on woody plant propagation shows how this particular one is outstanding for cuttings of woody trees, shrubs and vines.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that info.. I have located a local dealer off their web site.

Susan

Susan

frankford, can you check out the active ingredients for me as a reference? thanks, hostajim1

Anymore thoughts on Superthrive?

What were your results from last year?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry... I tried it some and them it went by the wayside.. I can't say!

:)

Susan

Kyle, TX(Zone 8b)

I just bought my replacement bottle of Dip-n-grow. It is 1% Indole-3-butyric acid, (IBA) .5% 1-Naphthaleneactic acid NAA. Depending on the plant cutting you are trying to root, you use it anywhere from full strength to a 20 to 1 water to Dip-n Grow. Full strength that = 10,000 ppm. As mentioned, Dirr's book will give a ppm estimate for rooting cuttings of most things in his manual. Lots of softwoods root with 1000 ppm so it goes a long way. When I started my propagation nursery, I went off the deep end and bought a pint, 16 oz. I used it 3 years and it reached it's expiration date so I am afraid to use it. Ergo the new bottle, 2 oz.

So do you view 'Dip n Grow' as a substitute for 'Superthrive'?

I thought superthrive was more of a tonic for seedlings...?

Kyle, TX(Zone 8b)

tabasco, I chimed in where I should not have. Just gave my take on the rooting hormone that had been mentioned. I know nothing about 'superthrive' other than the adds I have seen. Dip'n grow is only an aid for rooting cuttings to the best of my knowledge. Gene

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Superthrive is a booster for plants that already have roots, many people use it when they first transplant things to help get the plants off to a good start, it reduces transplant shock and helps the plants get established quicker. But it won't stimulate rooting for cuttings the way a rooting hormone like Dip n Grow will. And conversely, rooting hormones don't do much for the plant once it's already rooted.

ecrane--do you use Superthrive?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm very lazy about any kind of plant additives (including fertilizer!) I have some and I think I've used it once or twice and I've had good intentions of using it other times when I transplanted things, but I really haven't used it enough to judge whether it does anything or not. I've seen a number of people post from time to time saying that it works really well for reducing transplant shock though, so I think there must be some benefit to it.

Ah, thanks. just wondering...

Well I've been silently lurking here. I have a bottle of Superthrive. They suggest you shake before using and then just 1 drop to a gallon of water.
I would shake, unscrew the cap and swish it around in my watering can.
Another method was a plastic syringe the veternarian gave me that I could fill half full and do a dozen gallons, a drop at a time.
Over about a year and a half the metal cap on the plastic ST bottle was rusting and always hard to loosen.
I finished a plastic dropper bottle of B12, and poured the remainder in there. Now I can get a single drop out at a time and the lid has quit consuming my product.
I use it in my spring feeding of all my big bloomers. Brugs, Crepe Myrtles, Durantas, Copperleafs and all those Hydrangeas, Hibiscus and other Blooming beauties. I give them Fish Emulsion, Epsom salts and alfalfa tea if I make it.
I also use it for watering the coleus and impatients I root.
I believe it does help.
Sidney

sugarweed--thanks for your observations. Isn't it amazing that one drop can make such a difference?

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I soak all incoming bareroot plants in the 1 drop to a gallon mixture along with about 3 tablespoons of peroxide. Most of my experience is with daylilies. I stand them up and add an inch or two of the mixture. I just want the tips of the roots to be able to suck it up and keep the water away from the crown. They benefit from being fully hydrated before having to suffer the sun and wind. In a few days many new white roots will appear and they get a running start when I plant them.

I bought a new bottle of 'Superthrive' this week, and next to it on the shelf at the store was a package of 'Messenger' so I purchased a bit of that, too.

Got them both home and read the small print on the packages and now I'm wondering if they do the same thing to the plants...? Does anyone know?

I put one drop of Superthrive in a quart spray bottle of water and I'm using it to mist my seedlings...I wonder if that's 'a good thing'! (-:

I thought 'Superthrive' and 'Messenger' were completely different products, but now I'm not so sure...

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Messenger is REAL GOOD STUFF. Makes a BIG difference in Tomatos, peppers and all plants. It's a Harpin protein. Follow label directions. Superthrive is BS IMHO.

They ARE different products, totally different.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tommy's right, they're totally different products. Assuming they both work as advertised, the effects might be similar but they work in different ways so there's no harm in using both. (FWIW, I think Messenger is more likely to show you some noticeable results if you decide you only want to use one of them)

They aren't the same at all.
;)

I see...it's difficult to know what is in Superthrive from reading the label--that is why I wondered if they might be the same thing--or have similar ingredients.

Maybe Superthrive is just vitamins and Messenger is soley the Harpin Proteins.

I wish there were more data on the internet about the Superthrive.

I will go to their site if I can google it and seek a MSDS. This is a way to find out what's in what as OSHA requires ingredient info for safety sake.
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.