Hostas & Apple trees

West Chester, OH(Zone 6a)

When is the right time of year to divide hostas? And while I'm asking a timing question - when do I prune my apple trees? Thank you for your advice & experience.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi,
I am not an expert, but we trim our trees in Feb. also I have many varieties of Hosta and I like to divide them as soon as they begin to push thru the ground. If you wait until they are up and leafed out they look like they have been divided!
I am a momma to 3 girls and 1 boy. My oldest is in Dayton.

Teresa in KY

West Chester, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you Bluegrass!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

mommoboys,
I asked a nursery last fall when the best time was to divide hostas in the Spring, Just like bluegrass425 said, when they first start to pop up out of the dirt.
So bluegrass425, do they spread out more if you do it then? This is my first year moving & divideing mine too.
Lea

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I think if you have an overgrown clump it encourage them to start reproducing faster.
Also if you dig into a clump after the foilage is up, it looks one sided! So if you start before they have leafed out you have smaller but rounder bunches.

I have been collecting about 5 years and have maybe 35+ varieties. Many of mine were put in last year and some of the Giants are so slow. Do you know which ones you have?
I love to trade.
Teresa

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I think all of the giants are slow to grow, they get the height though, and just beautiful, I only have 2 of those and they are both 'Big Blue" I’ve had these for a few years and still they don't need dividing, can't believe it!
Have the ‘Patriot’, that is really nice, bought two pots last year and look like they are going to multiply for this year, have a lot of ‘Golden Tiara’ & ‘Blue Skies’, these are all medium in size and the plants are two years old, grew them from seed, these are in half gallons, I planted a bunch of hybrids last year, can’t wait to see the out come of them, and have four different kinds I’m winter sowing this year lol Thanks to DG’s lol I have a few more, don’t remember If I buried the tag with them, don’t know what their names are, they are white and trimmed in green, from what I can remember, nothing fantastic about them, May be I need to take a course on how to put these lovelies together, this is one of my goals this year to spruce up my shade gardens.
I’ve never notice my hostas coming up in Feb., I will have to check this out now that I want to divide them this year, never watched them that close before, nice to know.
You probably have the hostas that I have they are older varieties, but if you would like to trade Dmail me k?
Been a rough day, time to catch some ZZZzzzz lol
Lea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.