Anybody has any magic potions that will acidify the soil

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

for my gardenias and azaleas? I posted in the soil forum but I guess they don't believe in potions over there, lol They were planted a few years ago with plenty of peat moss in the holes but I'm getting impatient and think they should be doing better. My soil is clay and it is right at neutral.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Just do a google search on "soil acidifier" and you'll get lots of results. One important thing to do is to mulch with something like ground hardwood bark or shredded oak leaves. These will decompose over time with an acidic reaction. Nutrients will slowly leach down into the soil providing long term support for your plants. "Potions" are not a permanent solution.

thanks you bob. I will google but I'm really posting here to get input from people that have actually used these products and thought they were/were not useful.

I know there's bound to be somebody on net that will promise me azaleas from heaven or the soil from heaven, for the right amount. I'm trying to be a little bit more thoughtful about my inquiry, lol.

Cincinnati, OH

My recommendation is Epsom Salt MgSO4. Traditionally Gypsum CaSO4 is sold for loosening soil, but most ericales do not like calcium. I doubt gypsum helps if the clay ion is already Ca. Mg will replace Ca or other ions making the clay more absorbant. Organic matter as it breaks down will acidify soil.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

If you can get it in your area the best thing to use is pine needle mulch. If not go to your local lowes and get Green Light Liquid Iron 4.6% and Soil Acidifier it will do the job but will also leach out of the soil after heavy rain and need to be reapplied

thank you very much, all. After extensive research I have decided to just get me a bale of pine needle mulch and let nature take its course. (I might cheat with a little Green Light help, lol)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I do know to turn my Nikko Pink Hydrangea to Nikko Blue I need aluminum sulfate. i wanted to do it natural with coffee grounds, but they are less acidic than i thought :(
Al

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Word of warning....NEVER use Aluminum Sulphate on Rhodies!...it may turn hydrangeas blue but it will kill Rhodies! If using a chemcial soil acidifer, use iron or ferrous sulphate. Lucky me, my soil has a natural pH of 5.8.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Coffee grounds, pickle and olive juices... We save all that, plus loose tea leaves and thru them under the gardenia...they LOVE it!!! You might be able to get a restaurant to save them for you if you promise to pick up every day!!!

Carol

Edited to say that I will be going over to a Vireya grower this next week and I will ask her....

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 7:54 AM

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I use a product called Hollytone. It is for all acid loving plants. Fertilize after they finish blooming and before they set buds for next year. I also spray them with Miracid, every two weeks. Acid loving plants love mulch aslo. I use a double ground mulch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.