Yikes! what is wrong with my Eleagnus?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

here is a pic of the problem plant. Many of the bottom leaves have turned yellow, new growth is appearing and showing that beautiful silvery color. what could be wrong. I have three. This is the center shrub. The ones on either side do not show any problems, though I wonder if it's just a matter of time. All three are planted in part shade, almost two years old, never had a problem before

please help. thanks

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a pic of healthy eleagnus, planted to the right of my sickie.

Thumbnail by vossner
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi Vossner. What was the plants root system like on planting and what is the soil like in that spot? I've seen that happen on a containerized plant that went too dry for too long. The other one looks good.

Although I don't remember, I think I can say root system on all 3 plants were about the same. About the soil, I can't say. I do worry about this. Have never had a problem before, but I did lose a gorgeous fatsia that was planted close). Other plants growing in general area are doing well, though. I've noticed the problem a week ago, but it could have started turning yellow as early as 10 days ago. Again, top grow is coming up nice and silvery. Very confused and upset.

Should it be a soil problem, is there something to be done before I have to transplant?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a bit of a draught in your area recently? In my opinion, keep it watered and see what happens over the next few weeks. These plants are tough and the container plant that was bone-dry came back.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Looks like a water problem, either too much or not enough. If these plants are in shade and are competing with tree roots, you will have to water them regularly. Its hard to over water plants in this situation, although they would benefit more from regular weekly or biweekly soakings rather than daily hand watering.
When you planted these plants, were they container plants? Did you loosen the root ball and prep the hole? Sometimes root problems don't show up until the following year or so. If you didn't loosen the root ball, you may want to do this. First, though, you should try understand whether or not your watering practices are meeting the needs of the plant.
Another reason could be spider mites, which could again be a sign of drought and dry conditions. You can discourage them by spraying the undersides of the leaves with water regularly.

thank you all. They are pretty close to a declining hackberry tree. I will work according to your suggestions. I don't want to lose this shrub, I love the contrast it creates next to lush green tropicals that I have in that area.

I always prep my holes. I haven't tried too hard to loosen the root balls, I guess I will try harder henceforth.

Yes Patrick, the only rain we had in 2005 was a few sporadic episodes in December, no spring or fall rains, none.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

If the problem was lack of water, I would expect to see older leaves and/or leaves particularly exposed to solar stress going first. From your photo, that is not the case. If leaves are limpish(could be hard to determine on Eleagnus), it could be over watering.

If you find no insect problems, I agree with Patrick, and you might consider pulling up the plant and looking at the roots and root ball. I'd say there is a good chance that the roots aren't penetrating the native soil as they should.

so I take it that this plant doesn't mind having roots disturbed? I wouldn't dare do that with gardenia or some types of bulbs. eleagnus, OK?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm thinking to just leave it and see how the new growth does. I've found they lose the oldest leaves and when things improve it puts on new growth. Check the stem for breakage as I noticed you have hoses and may have accidentally bent the stem with the hose (done it many times!). Maybe add a bit of organic soil on the top just to cover 1/4".

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

ps. Whenever I plant a new plant I built a small moat around the outside of the rootball. You might build a little one for this plant so when you water it the water soaks through the roots thoroughly.

yeah, hoses are a problem as I have to lug them around. have damaged plants that way. thanks growin. Thanks for all your help. I'll work on your recs tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.