3136 members but only 151 subscribers!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I was looking for a particular member from GA and noticed that there are only 151 of us from GA who are subscribed- out of 3136 who signed up from GA. What a shame!! I feel that I am missing out on so much from a lot of good folks!

IF they can read this then I implore all you GA members to subscribe so we can learn from and get to know each other.

Well, I had previously joined under another name before paying. With a GA forum now, maybe more people will want to become paying members. Previously, I didn't bother to pay since I knew I would not be using the forums much. In years past, I did not see many posts about southern gardening except on the Texas forum.
After visiting DG a few times I just stopped until in 2005 my friends Pins and Farmerpickle suggested I try again.
I think membership will pick up with this new forum!

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG,
I am glad you are here at DG to stay. I hope you're right- that others will join now that there is a GA forum. Your "name" sounds familiar. Are you on any other gardening sites?

Berrygirl. I used to be on gardenbuddies a bit, I'm on GW all the time.

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Ah.... that's where I have saw you name. Well, we hope you'll make DG your primary "home."

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

im here to stay but am very new to flowergardening i fell inlove with DG when i first found it and subscribed then .
and this is my pride and joy, i buit it all from scratch, 300 + bulbs and annuals are started

Thumbnail by bulbhound
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

That will be beautiful come spring. Keep us posted with pictures as it begins to fill out, okay? Is that an electric fence surrounding your raised bed?

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have to check the forum list more often! I just found this Georgia forum and am excited to see so much activity going on already. Yippee!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmmmmmm, I've been wondering what to put right up front to keep the neighbors guest from parking on my lawn and electric fence sounds wonderful!! :)

Susan

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like my neighbors,I just found where they ran the down spouts under ground to surface about a foot from my natural area.Now I need to come up with a good ground cover that likes shade,and lots of water,to hold back the ever worsning wash.Any good ideas?It can be somewhat invasive.Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike,
Ajuga doesn't seem to mind lots of water. In fact, I have some growing in a downspout area. It can be invasive as it grows like crazy, but I love mine!

BTW, my Mom lives in nearby Ila.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

How about strawberry begonias? They are pretty, they flower, they spread like crazy, and I think they love it moist.

I love ajuga, too, but I'd never call it invasive. It just multiplies like a bunny when its happy!

Thanks,Berrygirl,and pins,I like ajuga,and my wife loves it so I'll start trans planting.BG,your mother only lives four miles from me,and more than likely knows my neighbors.Its not that I have "bad "neighbors,it just that they are kept ignorant of "how to live in the country".Thanks again,Mike

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm with all you guys that found this forum by accident. Thanks ADMIN for a GA forum. I discovered DG last summer while trying to learn about gardening in general. We were moving from FL and I didn't have a clue. I definately don't have a green thumb although I'm trying to grow one! I joined immediately and have never regretted it. It's a great group of very INFORMATIVE people. I've learned much more than my subscription cost! I really need all the help I can get! Our new house had been occupied by people who apparently didn't garden because the yard was/ is still pretty bare. I'm trying to figure out all the do's and don't regarding GA weather. Keep talking please..... sharon

Welcome teateacher,I'm about 20 miles from you,and I think that is a nice small town.You are in an area that has a some what mild winter most of the time ,but don't count on it ,because every now and then pipes freeze,and we saw this in the early 80's.We had to cut our comelia down to the ground,and start over.Your in a good zone to grow most anything,it all depends on what you like.Tropicals may need taking in for the winter,but I have mulched heavily and over wintered T.hibiscus and such.Good planting.Mike

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate all the information and it's nice to have someone as close as you are who really knows the climate and trends. I think this GA forum is great. Sharon

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello from Dunwoody -
I've been around here for a while. Just started paying last year and today found this GA forum. I am a long time gardener and just love it. I recently cleared a huge area of ivy from my backyard and am ready for spring.
Sterling (Ms)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

sterhill: How did you clear the ivy? I'm thinking about a lawn mower and, later, spraying with Round-Up.
Hank

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome all! Hello From East Cobb.

I've heard that Round Up will not kill the Ivy.. It has a waxy coating that round up will not hurt. Get the gloves and start pulling maybe? And cutting it back with the lawn mower couldn't hurt if your lawn mower can take that abuse.

Susan

I pulled and dug at my former house,and the next summer I had an even cover of ivy,that looked like it wanted to thank me.Mike ( I think it was three feet thick)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yikes!

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/ivy.html

Permanent Removal of Ivy Back to top
If you do wish to permanently kill ivy then you have a lot of work ahead of you! It is very difficult to kill the entire ivy plant, and can only be done with a lot of hard work and persistence.

Generally it is very difficult to kill an entire ivy plant by use herbicides alone. The two major factors that protect the ivy plant are its waxy leaves that prevent the uptake of the herbicide, and the other is its almost phenomenal resistance to most toxins. It is certainly possible to brown out foliage, and in some cases it will appear to have controlled the ivy plant permanently. However generally, over time, green shoots will appear out of the dead foliage. Timing of treatment is a factor, too. Different mixes of herbicides and surfactants applied at different times of the year seem to have different levels of effectiveness, the strongest herbicide that Whatprice have identified is sold by Crocus.

Skill and experience of the individual applying the herbicide also seems to have an effect. The best way to apply herbicide is to paint it onto fresh cuts in the plant stems. The alternative to herbicides is to use good old manual labour. Simply remove all the ivy shoots from your trees/fences/walls as described above, and then attack the roots! Chop the roots down as far as you can with pruning knives, axes, pruning-saws, or whatever you have handy, and then try to pull up or dig up as much of the root system as you can. If you do this thoroughly enough then you may be able to kill the ivy plant completely. Unfortunately it is rarely the case that you can attack and remove the roots completely. They may well grow under brick walls, or across your wonderfully turfed garden which you do not want to dig up completely. Therefore in most cases you will want to do a combined attack to kill the ivy. This involves cutting the ivy plant back as much as possible, and then painting any remaining exposed roots or stems with a concentrated herbicide. You may find that you have to do this several times a year, and possibly have to experiment with different herbicides before you finally kill the entire ivy plant. GOOD LUCK!
--------------------------- end of quote-----------------------------------------
This is how I got rid of all traces of kudzu that had overtaken the back ayrd when I took it back.. painted the cut stems with the roundup and it took it up all the way through the roots and killed it.. It was worth it!!

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

How I am removing IVY!!!

I have a friend in the Dunwoody Garden Club who has the most beautiful woodland garden you ever saw. Beautiful every season. Tons of varied and interesting plants. She said her backyard looked just like mine when she started - knee deep in ivy. I'd always heard you just can't get rid of ivy so my ears pricked forward like a bird dog! Her gardens have NO ivy. Not for years since. It really inspired me....

I am following her instructions: weed eater it to the ground. You'll see the denuded ivy vines - then pull and cut, pull and cut. She said you'll find a bit of bright green "knuckle" here and there for a year or so afterward, and you just pull and cut it.

She used no chemicals. The problem I have seen with the chemicals is twofold. First, you are dealing with a poison and have to be very careful not to get it on anything else and second, you still have to clean up the dead stuff. AND people say it stil comes back.

I have left a "border" of ivy around the perimeter and can keep that in check with the weed eater (like I do in my front). Maybe I'll get that out too someday, but I know I'll have a running (parden the pun) battle as all the neighbors have ivy.

I did see a good idea on Rebecca's Garden: She took a gallon milk jug, cut the bottom out and cut a 2" diameter hole in the shoulder. You can place this over the weed and spray through the hole. Keeps it from going everywhere.

But the 'pull and cut' sure worked for her garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.