Madonna Lily

Millers Creek, NC

Does anyone know where I can get a Madonna Lily??I have been looking everywhere I know to look for one of the bulbs,since the voles ate mine!!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I just posted a reply in the other thread. Brecks has them for 15.99. Very expensive. The Lily Garden has seed.

Millers Creek, NC

Oh thank you so much,I will check with Brecks. I will pay that much for that lily if I have to.Sure don't want to wait for seeds to grow into bulbs for that beauty!!I haven't checked with Brents and Beckys either,just thought about them!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

B&D Lilies lists Siberia as being similar in appearance ~ http://www.bdlilies.com/l7001.html

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I find this lily very difficult to grow and have had it a few times and lost it every time. It like to be planted much more shallowly than other lilies and likes limey soil. Good luck!

Millers Creek, NC

Thanks for the info!! My Madonna was doing just fine until the vole decided to have it for a gormet meal!!!Now I plant all my bulbs in hardware cloth!!

Vanadzor, Armenia(Zone 6a)

John Scheepers also has this lily?
Meanwhile, I'dike to ask you if anybody of you have any information about candidum hybrid lilies? I've heard there are different varieties with orange, red, yellow colors, but I have never met them on sale.

Boyed - Are you sure you're not thinking about the Easter Lily hybrids? I'm sure someone, somewhere is tinkering with L candidum, but I haven't seen anything other than the Madonna Lily offered. I found this one line regarding hybrids:

"Candidum Hybrids: This Lily hybrid has very few entries and is very rare to find in commerce."

If you find anything more regarding these hybrids, would be interested to hear.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

http://www.tytyga.com/rarelilies/madonnalily.html

They are sold here for $5.95 per bulb.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I read on the North American Lily Society site about a L.candidum hybrid that I've never seen offered commercially. I think it's a cross with White Henryi, but it was lovely. I'll see if I can find it to post a link.
Neal.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Found it! http://www.lilies.org/inter/interdivisional.html

Just scroll down the gallery pics on the left till you see L.candidumXL.henryi

This message was edited Feb 8, 2006 7:35 AM

I guess I have seen that one before and it is lovely. Too bad it's not available commercially.

That's a great price at TyTy. Much better than Brecks!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, but beware of TyTy; in the watchdog there are many mentions of law suits and theft by deception that would make me think twice. I think the pic they have posted is of L.longiflorum rather than L.candidum, so it makes me wonder what they're really selling. Brent&Becky's is offering them for a reasonable price, but you have to get at least 5 bulbs.

I saw a pic a while back of a planting of L.candidum underplanted with blue flax that I'd love to duplicate; it was amazing!
Neal.

GS - Now I'm going to have to look. I browsed their site late last summer when I started looking for amaryllis and was about knocked over by their high prices. They immediately went off my list. So, I was surpirsed they had a reasonably priced bulb.

It's hard to tell. The picture I have shows a lot more recurving of the petals.
This is the picture I have in my files:

Thumbnail by beaker_ch

This is TyTy's

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Arlington, TX

I bought 3 in fall clearance 2004 from VanEngelen. One has survived, but is only some foliage. I was told that they like a highly alkaline soil, which chould not be a problem where I live, except mine is planted among roses that I feed rose food too.

Oh well, it's still around. I have heard from others that it might take a few years ro flower. The lily image I remember is NOT like the TyTy one and like beaker
s fils pic. Very recurved and very full, not so Easter-lily esque
cynthia

Millers Creek, NC

I agree with you Cynthia,my madonna didn't look like the easter lily either. I really have not found one that looks like mine did as yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.