Dizzy Gillespie and landscape design

Fulton, MO

Yesterday one of my son's friends, knowing that I was a drummer, sought my advice on learning to play the drum set. His tutor, a high school junior, seemed intent on teaching complicated fills and filling every musical space with a beat. I told him one of my favorite quotes...

"It took me all my life to know what notes NOT to play."
--Dizzy Gillespie

How do you think this applies to our landscapes?

I'll toss out example from my own yard. Around one edge of our pool, I built an arbor, a walk, and a semicircular berm. I struggled for a long time with what to put inside the semicircle. Garden art? A mixed planting? Maybe a checkerboard of pavers!? For a year, I couldn't decide. Nothing felt right, so I just left it (my wife loved that look). Finally, I dug up about 10 square feet of liriope spicata, separated out and planted each little rootlet over the entire area. Now it has filled in (please excuse the hose). Does it work? Do you have an example?

SB

Thumbnail by stressbaby
This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!