Favorite Local Nursery?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

# 1 Towilaga Plants in Julliette (Natives & Shrubs)
# 2 Walker's Nursery in Jonesboro
# 3 The Plant Emporium in Griffin

Look what I just found!
http://www.findnurseries.com/US/GA/nurseries/index.shtml

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I like Conrad's Garden Center which is near me. They are a local-owned a mom and pop operation with 2 stores.
I also like Georgia Outdoor Environments, which is very near me and has a fantastic selection, but a bit $$, IMO.

The big box stores are my last resorts.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm a trash gardener!!

My favorites are the growers that throw out their stuff on site, so that I can go through their trash and pick it out!! There is a local family in town that only sells wholesale.. they are the best and have made several introductions to the market over the years. I want to go to their nursery and tell them I don't want to shop there.. I just want access to your trash cans and dumpster... :)

After that, I like the big box stores and only right after they get the stuff in fresh since we all know it's going downhill from there.... I really love when stuff is not in bloom and most others don't have a clue about them.. like camellias and they get marked down to nothing.. aahhh heaven... Right now, I've been finding climbing roses at wally world for unbelievable prices.. I've been doing all kinds of research on them and staying up till the wee hours looking them up. It seems that they really do focus on old fashioned tried and true varieties. Vi, I even bought the 'Zéphirine Drouhin' even though you gave it a neutral.. since they were both under $5 and i just couldn't help myself.. and they are thornless... so if I even want to wrap myself up in roses... I also just found out that I can negociate markdowns and clearance at Lowes and I'm all over that.

I love the specialty nurseries for outings and seeing all that beauty and things I might want to grow from seed or trade for or even get out of the trash when they throw it out, but I just can't bring myself to pay the big bucks for these plants... Especially annuals!! I also love one in particular since they will fill up the back of my pick up with their spent soil that was dumped out of dead plant pots... And of course there are always plants growing back around that pile and I bring my gloves and a small trowel.

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

oh yea... I spent the day there shopping after the round-up and they caught me in the right mood and I spent good money there.... Towilaga Plants in Julliette (Natives & Shrubs).. :)

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Ashe Simpson Garden Center - 4961 Peachtree Industrial Blvd Atlanta -

They have wonderful and unusual plants. They are right across from the Lowe's Garden Center. I would love to just back a truck up to this place. They sell everything from herbs to big trees and while it is not a huge place (like Lowe's or Hastings), the plants are unusual and interesting.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Plus, Ashe has the best selection of camellias ever. I love that place.

I like the woman I met at Walkers nursery, but was very shocked at the prices of some of their plants. I also like the lady at Ashe Simpson but we've never been there. My time going to nurseries is limited, so I end up going only when we can hit a few in a cluster. I'm hoping to get to the Woodstock nurseries this year.
Normally we go to Athens. I love Goodness Grows, and also Thyme after Thyme. My favorite nursery was the very sadly defunct Gardensmith.
However, I think my own backyard is my most favorite nursery! Once a year we try and go around to see what nurseries are growing, then I search for seeds of what they are NOT growing, just to be able to have something different, and to experiment. Many of my plants are from trades, gifts, rooted cuttings etc.
Another favorite place is our church. We grow and sell many different plants and also have the widest selection of heirloom tomatoes around now. The selection of peppers, and often of basils is astounding. This year we've included some very unusual herbs which I guarentee you can not buy anywhere else. Our selection changes all the time, we tend to grow small amounts of a huge variety of things just for our own personal interest and education. We also have unusual succulents this time, just because one of our volunteers has taken a shine to them.

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'd love to go to the Athens nursery's. Sound like a road trip! I have not been to Ashe, only driven by, but she has had coupons at past Hydrangea society meetings and I wanted to go. Glynis, I'm coming over to your nursery and church!! :)

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

"coupons at past Hydrangea society meetings"?? I would love to find coupons for this place! I bought two big hydrangeas there this past fall. Lace-cap types. She has things the other nurseries don't.

I have spent many of the warmer days this winter with my backyard ivy. When I see ivy for sale, I want to put "danger, danger" stickers on it. I've been weedeatering, pulling, cutting, pulling, cutting!!! Now I have a lovely cleared woodland understory just itching to be planted. Deep loamy soil under 30 years of ivy!

Sternhill, I am with you on the ivy. We had only "tame" ivy in our own yard, but bought the property next to us. So far I have dug out oodles around trees, which is mixed with poison ivy. I need to cut the stems of the ivy but I'm afraid I'd squirt poison Ivy all over myself at the same time. Have been thinking of "shooting up" the ivy stems with weed killers. This works great with juicy stems of kudzu in the dry season. Just give it a nice shot, no need to find the veins, lol. Ivy around trees is the WORST, it just keeps finding a stranglehold and coming back.
I'm hoping to start a native garden, and I need to get rid of the ivy first.

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi GGG - check the thread on GA gardening here called "3136 members" etc where we are talking bout ivy. I use the cut and pull method because the most beautiful woodland garden I have ever seen was buried under tons of ivy when she started. I want her garden in my back yard!

But here is a good tip for spraying poison:
From Rebecca's Garden: She took a plastic gallon milk jug, cut the bottom out and cut a 2" diameter hole in the shoulder. You can place this over the weed and spray through the hole. Keeps it from going everywhere.

Where are you located? I am in Dunwoody.
Sterling

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Is she ever on tour? I'd love to see her garden.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi pins2006 - she does not do tours, per se, but she is happy to show off her garden to a few visitors. Remember, this is Dunwoody and our houses here have big backyards but we are not in the showoff 'estate' catagory by any means. :)

She lives close to me so maybe a few of us could go over to her house when the blooms really start! We'll be the Anti-Ivy League... I started all this ivy clearing because her example. I would never have thought 30 years of ivy infested wooded yard could turn into such a lovely site.

She has a edgeworthia by her front entry that is heavenly! I had never even seen one before. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/117533/index.html

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

please count me it in for an invite!!
:)

Thanks!

Susan

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

That sounds great! I will definitely be on the anti-ivy league. That stuff is on too much of my property! I'd love to see her gardens.

Carmen

Hi Sterhill, I live in downtown Atlanta, in East Atlanta Village.

Lots of old homes, lots of ivy. Almost everyone in our neighbourhood gardens in woodlands, our neighbourhood is now protected as an urban forest.

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK! I mentioned it to her yesterday and she actually blushed. "MY garden?". But she really has done a wonderful job. She mixes unexpected plants together so you can't sum it up and you keep seeing new things everytime you look. The usual and the rare well mixed together. IMHO.

I'll keep you posted for when it is blooming - maybe April?

Sterling
P.S. I used to live in Ansley Park (downtown) and I fought kudzu in the back and ivy in the front.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone,
I'm a little late in responding but would like to add my "two cents." DH and I discovered Andy's Nursery in Fayetteville last weekend. We are new to the area and found out about them through a local newspaper ad. They are having a buy-one, get one free sale on select trees and perennials. We bought 3 14' red maples for $49.99 ea. We especially appreciated the great customer service - very friendly, helpful staff. They have a large selection of shrubs- bought 3 Frances Mason Abelias - gorgeous! Will look great against burgandy loropetalum. The main store also sponsors a garden club which meets monthly and has some very reputable guest speakers. Anyway, if you are in the area, check them out.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for reminding me about them. I used to visit Turnupseed Garden/Nursery there too, is it still there?

Hope to see you at the swap, Gliz, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/573539/ are you coming?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Vi,

Turnipseed is still in Fayetteville. I do agree re Andy's.......they have good stock and helpful people.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG & SoulGarden,
Speaking of Athens nurseries, have you ever been to Char-Mar's out on Gaines School Road? Last year they had expanded their nursery and brought in a lot more stuff. I think they bought the properties on either side of them because they fenced in the yards and have a large selection of trees and shrubs as well as perennials now. It's my favorite place to shop and not far from where I live.

If you guys do plan a road trip, let me know and we'll try to connect, maybe have some lunch, too.

JoAnn

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope, I haven't been to Athens yet, but thanks JoAnn for the gracious invite for us to get together! I went to GGG's church plant sale yesterday, but couldn't find a road I was looking for and I took forever to get there. I couldn't stay long before i had to go to a birthday party. GGG was in Canada, but it was a neat sale.

If anyone is near Woodstock, it's my understanding that the Cherokee Master Gardeners are having a plant sale next weeked. I'll try to find out more about it and post.

Susan

Hiram, GA

A few years ago someone mentioned to me a nursery in Georgia that has a lot of succulents. Does anyone know who that would be?

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

1. Nurseries Carolinias in N. Augusta - a great place for more unusual plants that also grow in the area.

2. Sanderlin Green Houses in Appling - large variety of annuals.

3. Bedford Greenhouses in Augusta - family owned and a pleasant place to browse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.