Mid-GA Plant Swap

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

K, I've found quite a few that don't know about the swap, so I'll post again here. This will be our 4th Annual Spring Swap we usually have them every May and October, yep, twice a year!

Date: May 6, 2006
Place: Dauset Trails Nature Center (near Jackson, GA.)
Time: 9 am to 4 pm
Price: $7 per person includes BBQ Lunch & Pavilion
Funds are due before April 29, please see swap forum for instructions.

This is the website for Dauset: www.dausettrails.com a beautiful place!
Here's the generic website: http://georgiaswap.brugmansia.us/index.php for all the details, planning, plant swapping, wish lists and chat. Soon I'll add the Food thread and start the List of attendees again.

Now, I know this DG site spoils us all for any other, but sure wish we can get together on the swap site since we have so many different folks coming from several groups. If you have any trouble using the site, post here and I'll do my best to explain things, K? You can even call me and I'll walk you thru on the phone in 5 minutes!

#1 you must register, and then log in. If it doesn't show "log out" (your name) on the top right, you are not logged in and will show up as a guest when posting. After that, just click around and see how it works. The forums show up as a notepad which opens into a thread. To return to the Main Menu, just click on the flowers like you click on the DG Banner or Home.

Sure am looking forward to meeting old friends and new!
Here's a pic our swapping spot from last spring.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2006 5:13 PM

This message was edited Apr 8, 2006 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by violabird
Lilburn, GA

Hi Vi!

I tried registering 3 times but it does not seem to accept my confirmation code. :o(

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

K, I've alerted tiG. Seems like we had a few problems when they moved, that's why I reposted.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Great site,hope we have the same spot we had in the picture,I may not have to put my dog in the K-club,with all that shade.Look forward to meeting all.mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry Mike, it's a Nature Center and they don't allow dogs :(

Oops,k-club it is!Thanks,I needed to know that.Mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry Mike!

As our plants are coming up, sure like to see some action on the swap forum. If you're having trouble on the site, please let me know.

Looking for volunteers to help with the Food thread also.

Hay vi,whats hapened to this thread?No BGI people .They are not doing much on the forum either.I'll do what I can to help,but you'll have to let me know.Mike

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Mike! You're right - I was wondering when people would start to post, too.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Most of the BGIers seem to be concentrating on the Florala swap which is 2 weeks earlier. The Florida and Alabama folks normally don't come to the spring swap, they join us at the Fall Swap. Don't worry, you'll still meet tiG, CindyD, Pat55, Pete & Dottie, Nat, Brucedean, msampler and others!

I think many of us are waiting for our perennials to emerge and see what can be divided, I know I am.

However--I sure could use some volunteers! Especially with the Food Thread, any takers? I also usually have help spreading the word by Dmailing our Georgia members here, I've done a few as I've found them, but could use help there also. It looks like we will have a lot of new folks joining us here.

Y'all do this to me every time! I know chatting here on DG is fun, but it sure is hard to keep the trades and food stuff straight. There are folks not DG or BGI members and folks that don't own their own PC! Please humor me by using the new forum, put it in your favorites and start posting!

For those of you coming for the first time, I posted some photos from the last Spring Swap at Dauset Trails so you can see us in action. We could also use a photographer, we get so busy we forget to take photos!

So, I'll start some new threads, and I expect some volunteers, K?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

YES! I'm waiting to see what needs to be divided.

However I have a question: How do you know what's good to bring (plants)? Do you just dig whatever you have in the "extras" and hope somebody is looking for that? I did look over on the swap site for the "wanted" but everything is pretty thin just yet over there... I'd hate to pot up a couple of dozen iris and not have any interest in iris this year...
Sterling

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Post whatever you have and people will ask for them if they would like them. Remember, this one isn't an exact swap like others are. I always come home with lots more than I brought, just because lots of folks are thinning out and don't have room for much more.

Hope your wright,pins,the more I think about the swap,the more I come up with to trade,and want.Those wild geraniums have stired my fancy too.BTW,I'm trying sweet peas inside,too,and this is my first experance,hope I did it wright.Hard little devils,I soaked and scrached each seed,now I'm hopping for the best.Mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Nudge, nudge...

We are only 2 months away folks, I'd appreciate some sign-ups on the threads, especially the food thread.

If you don't know what you have to swap, surely you have some plants for your wish lists? This gives the rest of time to look over what we may be able to share.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Early swapping is now going on, don't miss out of the good stuff ;>}

Our own Thripmaster (Robin from Eden-Bio) wil be giving a talk on a new seed sowing product they are introducing. She asked if we had any seed growers in our gang, lol!

Cordele, GA

My school is planning a butterfly garden for next year. I can soak up a lot of the more common extras that folk bring to the swap. We have written a grant for a small amount and I have good reson to expect it to be funded, however, most of it will be used for hardscaping. The planting will be pass along plants and what ever donations we can get. Any nectar plants and host plants will be gratefully accepted.

Beth

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Turtle - can you use any of the common orange daylilies?- I have a 'blue billon' of them.
Sterling

Cordele, GA

We have a new school (3 years old) in the middle of a former cotton field. We can use darn near anything. Our county is really poor, around 80 percent of my students come from families at or near poverty level. Land scaping was not even on the BOE's collective mind when they had this place built. From the looks of it, nursing homes and prisons might have been.

Beth

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

great - I am sending you d_mail

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I wish I could make it to this one. My sis in law is getting married that day in So. Fla, so I will mark my calendar way head of time for the fall roundup.

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Turtle, Could you use some white butterfly ginger. It blooms late fall but smells out of this world. I'll bring some old fashion lantana that butterflies love if you want one. Here's a picture from last year.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Cordele, GA

We could definately use the lantana and probably the ginger. I gave away enough of mine last spring that I don't have much to divide this year.

Does anyone else find it strange that the science curriculum calls for second graders to study plants in the dead of winter? Even at my childrens' school in Birmingham, it was taught then. On the other hand, they had a grow cart in the classroom. The children sowed brassica seed and ,when the plants flowered, the students used freeze dried bees to pollinate them . I kid you not ,freeze dried bees glued to tooth picks. My son loved it.

I am going to push for at least a hobby size green house for the outdoor classroom so that we can start seed and have plants blooming at appropriate times. Sometimes I wish that I were certified to teach science, but if I were I would probably wish that I could teach art instead. I am never satisfied.

Beth

Neither was Ben Franklin

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Let's start firming up the attendance list so we know how much food to make, and bring, K?

It's gonna be such fun seeing everyone!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm afraid just me this time.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Teresa can't come either? I'll miss her. Has she planned her trip to Italy yet?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Vi, I'll send you a check for 2 and may bring a guest with me. If they don't come someone else can have their's......

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

You just better come!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone need any water hyacinth (shhhhhhhhh!)
Mine overwintered this year! LMK and bring your own bucket!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Our count is now 42!
Can't wait to see everyone :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

So why aren't there 42 people listing what they have to bring?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'all, I have a question? I was committed to another out of town engagement for this weekend, but it got cancelled. So now my DH and I will be going to Newborn, Below Covington to the (LOL) "Horney Head Festival",( I Know , I Know!!!) it's a little fish, indigenous(sp.) to the area.

Any way we will be marching with others as Flag bearers, representing, Native American descendants, in the parade. We will be through ,I'm sure before 11:00, that would give time enough to "visit" the plant swap. Can I come to see whats going on? We wouldnt be eating or any thing but just may find some plants to buy, if I could?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Buy, schmy. If it's like the other swaps that I've been to, people will be begging you to take some home!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep Eufala, come on over, we don't plan to eat until 12-1 or whenever, so if you still want to eat with us just let me know today! We always have too many plants!

Carmen, some folks just refuse to use the site, others (like some of my friends) aren't on the net! You CAN ask our Michael why he doesn't list his plants, lol!

Hope everyone remembers that they don't open the gates until 9 AM sharp, which means, don't be early since there is nowhere to park outside the gates.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey where is Bruce and mom

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I talked to Bruce a couple weeks ago, he said they plan to come. Just wrote again yesterday to both--sure hope everything is ok!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

And Oldndn?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been trying to reach Doug since January, my emails were never opened, so very worried. Last time we saw him he was overworking himself.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Called Bruce, he and Maureen are still coming, yay!

Lilburn, GA

Hi Viola,

I won't be able to go to the plant sale. I have so many babies at the moment, I can't leave the house for more than two hours. I have been sooo busy this past two months. :o((

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.