can i grow squash in containers??

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i would like to try growing winter squash such as waltham butternut and jarradale. i have 5 and 2 gallon containers that i plan to put on my deck which is 6 ft. high and let the vines hang down. can they be grown in containers and how many plants can i put in each container. i would like to start the seeds indoors if possible. if i plant them as plants on june 1st how long before i get fruit and do i have to do anything after i pick them like storing them someplace cool and dry for a while??

appreciate any advice i can get. thanks

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi Herbie, I'm also interested in how they do. I'd also like to know how other squash like summer and zuc do. I'm going with the homemade EB's this year.
Dave

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

While I've never grown winter squash in containers, I have grown summer squash.

The key is to select "bush" varieties, & then grow out one to each 5-gallon container.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

breezy - thanks for the info.
it seems to me that i should be able to put one plant in a 2 gal container and then let the vines hang down off my deck.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm sure you could try. But 2 gallons is a very small container for anything but greens or a few root vegetables. Even with 5 gallon containers I've often had to water several times a day in warm weather. You'd be very surprised how quickly fibrous root systems fill up containers.

Another thing to keep in mind is that squash vines can be very brittle & break easily. I would think that both the weight of the squash fruit, not to mention any inclement/windy summer weather would find most of your vines broken & on the ground if allowed to hang off of a deck.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks alot. maybe i'll think more on it before i do anything. while i have your attention what do you think about growing bush stringbeans in 2 or 5 gallon containers. thanks

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I think that's very doable.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

great, thanks.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Herbie, I think Breezy is right too...I've grown summer squash in containers and it was a struggle keeping them watered...and my container was a 10 gal. If you use an earthbox or something similar, then maybe you can keep them consistant in their moisture content.

I found that the fruits were smaller in the container grown squashes than in the ground grown ones, but that was probably because of the moisture problems.

As far as winter squash goes, I wouldn't let them hang down...the vines are way too brittle and weak to support a squash.

The beans make much more sense.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

melody - ok thanks. will scratch that idea.

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

Darn!! I had big plans of planting a squash plant per 5 gallon pot and setting them on my patio to run up the railings. Guess this isn't such a great plan. Now what do I do with all the seeds That I have collected for this purpose? LOL

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i guess you can give it a try. nothing ventured, nothing gained. maybe i will still give it a try myself since i have the seeds also.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Ccino42 - just remember that vining squash types are "trailers", not "climbers". If you expect them to run up your railings, you're going to have to tie them to keep them there. They don't have climbing tendrils.

AH yes, guess I will have to re-think this plan.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Perhaps not. How about planting them in pots at the end of the steps and letting them trail across the base of the deck? It will give them "lounging" room, and by resting on the ground, I don't think you would have the weight problem. If you have the extra pots and the extra seeds, might be worth the experiment. I know I'm going to try it!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i have question about vining vegetables. is it important that the vines be watered and kept in the sunlight or is it just the main plant that needs this. i ask this because i have always grown them in the ground but now with containers and all the info about brittle vines etc. i'm thinking that if i plant them on the ground near the edge of my deck and the vines run towards the house and UNDER my deck will i get squash??
thanks anyone

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

No - letting them run under your deck is not a good idea. They'll definitely die. They need as much sun as possible on the entire growing plant.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No such luck, Frank! If they start to head under the deck, you will have to coax them back out. I found them very easy to train last season around the raised bed. Just point them in the right direction and they will take off running! Mine did have a tendency to run up the fence, though, and they DID hang on and climb up. The little vines clung onto the deer fencing and produced squash all the way up. I was concerned that they were going to pull the fencing down, but it held just fine. I'm sure the 16 pounder would've tugged it apart, but fortunately that one grew to the ground and the 2 that were growing off the fencing were "only" 5-6 pounds! I will see if I can find a photo - it looks pretty funny!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2006 5:46 PM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

but then they will be going onto the grass which i have to mow. i will figure something out. i got it. i can get a trellis and they can grow down from the deck and i will attach them to the trellis. hows that sound.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

According to last year's experience - and that's just one winter squash, one year - I think it would work fine. You might want to go with a very fine design - sonething the new vines can grab onto. I imagine it would look stunning, too! Those huge leaves and beautiful blossoms - WOW! I say, give it a go!

Herbie43 - That sounds like the answer to me, but then...... I haven't had such good ideas regarding this LOL
I usually plant my squash in my garden boxes but they never do that well as they do not get the full days worth of sun. But my patio does hence my bright idea. I have a graveled area underneath my patio (which is about 6 foot high off the ground - patio that is) This area gets lots of sun as well. So I think I will plant them in pots and put them on the gravel area in direct sun. If I can train them to stay off the lawn, as you say, then I should be Okay.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sounds like a plant to me. lets keep each other informed on how we do with them.

Yes I would love to hear/see how your trellis works out. I agree with Sequee, it should look stunning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.