WalloWater?

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Do any of you use these "season extenders"? Are they worth the money? The pictures and testimonials on the web sites seem very compelling...

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My experience has been very negative with Wall-o- Waters. Things did better out of them or were better unplanted yet. Of course some have surely had positive experiences. I also found that cloches were not a super help either. I have found some helps for early boosts, but not with those two items.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

We got tomatoes out a month earlier when using them, but we are in Zone 7b/8a. The temperature never got below about 25 degrees when we used them. Considering the cost of replacing the wallowaters every few years, we now just wait and put the tomatoes out at normal planting time, about the beginning of the last week in March here. Some of the wallowaters developed leaks; others deteriorated from exposure to sunlight. If you have the patching kit for the leaks and put them up out of the sun as soon as possible, they might last longer.
Patricia

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I've tried them two years in row now and haven't really seen much advantage. I've been putting them out at the beginning of May to give me an extra month over regular planting-out time.

I'm going to try them again this year, only this time I'm only going to put the plants in two weeks before they would normally be planted, rather than four weeks ahead. In the wall-o-waters the plants can survive the frosts alright, but they don't grow until it actually warms up outside. By mid-May we can still get some frost, but not as heavy or as often as at the beginning of the month, and the temperature tends to stay above freezing day and night.

I'm thinking that two weeks head start will still give me a bit of a boost on the season. If not, I'm thinking my wall-o-water collection could be turned into a really cool Halloween outfit. ; )

Rhonda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.