seven-son-flower (heptacodium miconiodes)

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a seven-son Flower shrub, it is beautiful and I am trying to find some infomation on propagating this wonderful shrub.

Has anyone ever tried to propagate it and willing to share their experience on how to do it.

JoAnn

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

There's some good info here in PlantFiles. Maybe you could d-mail one of the growers and they'll have even more advice. Beautiful shrubs :)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2036/index.html

Dea

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi JoAnn,

I've successfully propagated it. It's easy. I did mine in July with #2 hormone. But, almost all cuttings took so I'm sure you could use #1 at different times.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hello Thinkdirt,
Just up the road in Goshen, are you? Well, I'm just down here in Anderson Twp. I was just out enjoying this perfect February spring day and admiring my own Heptacodium. Mine is a bit younger, maybe four years old now, and the stems are just like alibaster! Spectacular! Last year I looked for seed, thinking maybe I could propagate it that way. Either the seed is tiny, or non-existent, because I could not find any. I'm glad you asked your question, because I will try some cuttings in July as Growin suggested.

Scott

Fulton, MO

Hey y'all, I had trouble with this one. June cuttings, 1000ppm IBA quick dip, peat:perlite, mist, and in several weeks, nothing but callus for me. Appreciate the advice...What's #2 hormone? SB

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

thinkdirt, maybe this will help?

excerpt from Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants:
"PROPAGATION: Seeds—5 months warm, 3 months cold; variable reports on cuttings—my success has been miserable on firm wood summer cuttings, Raulston stated that softwood and semi-hardwood were easy; July 8 cuttings (Boston), 4 to 6" long, 10000 ppm IBA-5 sec, 81% rooting (excellent root systems) by October 1. Lee and Bilderback, J. Environmental Horticulture 8:121–123 (1990), reported best rooting from containerized stock in May (softwood) and August (semi-hardwood) of 68% and 76%, respectively, with 5000 ppm KIBA."

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi. I used commercial stimroot http://www.growercentral.com/index.cfm?siteAction=showFamilyDetailsWithSearch&searchStart=1&basicSearchCriteria=rooting%20hormone&msds=&labels=&familyID=274660&CFID=2708502&CFTOKEN=12489062 that lists at 2500 ppm for semi-hardwood. Cuttings were stuck in standard peat-perlite mix in trays and placed in 1/2 sun under the table. Temps were 70'ish at most. I did about 2 dozen cuttings and almost 100% take.

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone all for the information, I am going to try it for sure.

I just love this shrub and want a few more in my yard.

Wow Growin what a success rate, I would love to have those results the first time out.

Do I really have to wait until summer to take cuttings? I have 2 small greenhouses and I was wondering if I could try it now.
The mild weather we have been having lately has me itching to try.

JoAnn

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd give it a try and see what happens. My larger plant has kept its leaves this winter???? Give it a try and it can't hurt as this plant is a good grower. I guess I lucked out. Use the middle strength rooting hormone on tip cuttings. Good Luck!

Fulton, MO

Yes, I suspect that a higher IBA concentration, more like 2500-10000 would work better. Thanks, growin, I'll try it again this year. SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.