Whatcha Got Blooming in Your Garden?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

It's February already. Let's see the variety of plants we have in bloom now, okay? I'll start:

Two different daffs
Autumn Flowering Cherry Tree
Daphne Odora (but mine isn't very fragrant)
White plumonaria
Raggedy Pinks
Hellebores
Camelias (okay, just one bloom, but its there)

Who else?

This message was edited Feb 3, 2006 9:27 AM

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

lets see - a bunch of stella d'oro day lillies, daffs that are poking up between violas and pansies I planted in pots and some of the liriope look like they are going to sprout new growth. I am surprised at my lambs ear. Thought it was an annual in this zone - I cut it completely down after the first hard frost thinking it was done for, and now it is coming back. Amazing. Don't have much else, new house.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You've got stellas already? Just where is Tyrone anyway? I always thought it was fairly close to Atlanta.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

We have lots popping up but only afew blooming
the Gazanias from last year are realy going strong and to think I disliked them last year but they have realy kicked it in gear the last month and have had some beautiful flowers,also have A
yellow rose on the rose tree not a leaf in sight....lol
even the snail vine has decided to show off them a few blooms.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

sorry pins, gave the wrong impression about the lillies - they are popping up all over but haven't bloomed yet. Tyrone is near Peachtree City, I think around 20 miles south of Atlanta.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought. That's why I was surprised to hear they were blooming. Thanks for letting me know. :-)

Pins, what are "raggedy pinks" please.

I have camellias just bursting. These were gifts from a gardening friend who moved, and this is the first year to bloom here. HUGE fluffy things. Gorgeous.
Hellebores
Ogon Spirea
honeysuckle which bloomed all winter...

and today I noticed brugs and elephant ears are starting to leaf out...YIPES!

GGG

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, it's more commonly called Ragged Pinks than raggedy pinks, but that's how I think of them. Lychnis flos-cuculi, Ragged Robin is the real name for them. They are a very low growing plant and the foliage dissapears in the summer, but then they come back for a very early show. They like moist soil and, although some people have warned that they are invasive, just how bad can they be when they thrive when so much else is dormant? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1909/

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have 2 different daffs too. Love the little jonquils the best.
My white Dapne, pink one has buds
Winter Honeysuckle still going, YUM!
Hellebores

So glad we have our own place :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Me, too, Vi. Let's get the word out to all the other peaches.

Thanks Pins, I thought maybe thats what they are. Do you have in full sun, or part-sun. I did grow them once, but I don't know what happened to them, lol.
I planted a native honeysuckle in the fall, but I'm not sure when it's supposed to bloom. I didn't know much about it except to grab it when I could find it. It's hard to find!!
I just bought a daphne, and it too is in bud. I've left it in the pot, I'm afraid to plant it until it's flowered. I know they can be finicky.
What are your fave little jonquils? I purchased some two years ago from Goodness Grows and last year they did not show. It looks like they might possibly be returning in droves this year...they were adorable in bloom at the nursery.

GGG

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

My RR's are in part sun, and in an area that does not have the best drainage. In the summer that area dries out pretty much, so that's probably why they go dormant.

When you say native honeysuckle, are you meaning the deciduous azalea that grows in the woods. Those are so hard for me to grow. I have two living, but I've planted several. They are both about 3' tall, and bloom much later in the spring. George Sanko said that it is one of the hardest plants for him to grow, too.

Good luck on your Daphne. I have 5 survivors out of 12. I bought them at Pike's so I got replacements for 6 of them. I'm afraid to look at them too much, for fear they'll get the up and die disease. Mine are 3 years old and are still about 2' tall. You should see the ones in Penny McHenry's garden. Huge, lush, and all over the place! Of course, Penny can grow hydrangeas in full sun, too.

Carmen

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a streambed full of the wild azaleas! It sure smells wonderful down there, it's full of all shades of pink. Mine bloom at the end of dogwood blooming and signals the return of the hummers. The native reds and oranges have no scent and bloom later, the yellow have some scent but not like the pinks.

Once again, neglect is good for the natives. Keep in dappled shade with plenty of leaf mulch and you shouldn't have a problem.

GGG, take a road trip this spring to Towilaga Plants, they have tons of them.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

I just returned from a quick trip to Pikes Nursery - they are just starting to put out new shipment of shrubs,etc. Patio furniture is being assembled. Customers walking around with a slight glaze to the eye...By the way, I put my vote in for camellias- my favs are "Tom Knudsen" and Nuccio's Pearl.

Can anyone tell me where Towilaga Plants Nursery is, and what type of plants they carry? I am particularly interested in very unusual plants, shade plants and native plants. Since Gardensmith closed, I'm also having a hard time finding a fairly local nursery who specializes in a very broad variety of herbs. This year I had to order by mail for the first time for herbs.

Thanks,
GGG

Lilburn, GA

Well, i don't have ANYTHING blooming in the new garden. most of it is planted with a type of variegated grass (?) that id everywhere is Atlanta and the same for a shrub with red leaves on top and orange berries. What are they? They are eveywhere I go, including the new garden. :o(

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG, Towilaga Plants is near Julliette, makes a nice day trip to visit the nursery and eat at The Whistle Stop Cafe (Fried Green Tomatos fame). http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3889/

The plants you mentioned are what they specialize in. We had the owner speak at our last swap, it's about 20 minutes away from the site. Extremely wonderful selection, you won't be disappointed. The setting is like a walk in the woods with plants galore.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider,
W/o seeing them, your plants "sound" like liriope for the variegated grass and perhaps nandina for the red shrub. Got any pics of them for a def ID?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider, could it be Nandina? http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/92740/

Don't worry gal, we'll fix you up as best we can at the swap. I know it's a trip, but the Nursery I mentioned above is fantastic for it's variety. I bet they had over 30 Hydrangeas, 10 Anise, 50 or more azaleas etc. I would recommend a Banana Shrub (I'd recommend Skinneria) for sure, we cleaned them out last year, lol! They have much more than is listed. Check out the Winter Honeysuckle price http://www.towaligaplants.com/shrubs-l.html

This message was edited Feb 4, 2006 8:04 PM

Thanks Violabird, that's a little bit farther along than I would want to travel!

GGG

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

That's a shame, GGG! I think it's my favorite thing to do with friends, you never know what you might discover.

Have you ordered from Sunlight Gardens online? They also specialize in SE Natives http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/1480/
Vi

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Camelias!!

:)

Susan

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Purple and yellow crocus!

Violabird, I love Sunlight Gardens, and Niche Gardens for natives (and native cultivars).

I have little dutch iris blooming. They are adorable. Daffs and possibly joniquills. I've not seen these in my garden before, a friend gave me bulbs supposed to all be "snowdrops" these are not! SUPRISE!!

GGG

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Winter honeysucle,and daphne albo-marginata,not to be confused with adora,I believe albo-marginata fills the air in more areas.I don't think the adora blooms this early,does it? MIKe

Cordele, GA

Currently blooming

Japanese quince
3 varieties of daffs (Ice Follies is my favorite)
Camellia
One azalea that is a little ahead of the gang
Ipheion uniflora
Viola
Oxalis
Purple coneflower that never stopped blooming this winter
Cherry tree
forsythia
Salvia 'Indigo Spires' like the coneflower it never stopped

Up and looking wonderful

daylily foliage
Amaryllis foliage
3 clematis
Arum italicum
lilium 'Formosa'
white butterfly ginger
tulip 'lady Jane'
Spanish bluebells
TB iris
Iris tectorum
siberian iris
chrysanthemum
anemone 'Prince Henry'

We have not really had winter down here this year, so I am feeling a little nervous. The last time we had such a warm winter this area had a hard freeze in March that really hurt.

I am really glad to see a Georgia forum on DG. I am truly looking forward to the roundup in May.

Beth

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Another sign of Spring, Purple Plum Tree blooming.

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

My Bradford Pear is in full bloom and I had my first Bearded Iris bloom yesterday.

Here's a picture of my Hyacinth. It is sure smelling sweet!
... Elaine

Thumbnail by

Here's another view.

Thumbnail by

I already have a couple of blooms on my azaleas. Here's a view. Soon they'll be loaded. :)

Thumbnail by

Okay, here's the last one!

Thumbnail by
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

101 about the hyacinth what i planted last fall started out good leafed out nicly but hasnt done much since, no change for three weeks now but the leaves look good i did take a ph test near there location and was shocked that im reading around 5.5-6.0! could that be the problem?

bulbhound, I have to admit ... I don't know. LOL I got lucky on that one myself! I'm still in shock!! :)
... Elaine

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

My Virginia Blubells have started blooming. I can't believe it, but my Stilleto Hosta is up!

pins, is your hosta fragrant? What type of growing conditions does it like?
... Elaine

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I have no idea if Stilleto is fragrant. Its one of the minis and its flowers are a long way from my nose. lol

Stilletto is not fragrant, and the flowers are fleeting.

I still have camellias blooming, yellow and blanche sandiman lonicera, all sorts of daffs, tommy crocus, dutch iris, snowdrops, helebores, some sort of old fashioned bunching daff or jonquil, candytuft, phlox and the "red" (hot pink, really) hyacinth blooming but mine are blooming very low to the ground. They do this frequently.

We had one pink chrysanthemum bloom all winter long at church!

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG,
I didn't know Hotlanta was in zone 8b.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi,, I have... camellias, an old fashion purple bearded iris, now why aren't my wild azaleas blooming yet??? tea olive, lorapetulum covered with blooms (it has bloomed since January-boy is it confused) oh yes,,, and my tropical clivias are blooming like crazy.. adding picture (plan to take some of these for a special trade to middle GA plant swap) just about all my daylilies are spiking..oh yes, grape hyacinths, daffodils, helobores, hyacinths, oh yes,, I had yellow chrysanthemums blooming until a couple of weeks ago. This was a crazy winter right??
My neighbor has the most beautiful flowering quince (it has light and dark pink blooms on same plant) need to go and beg a cutting.. this was fun ..thanks, Pins

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.