Orange trumpet like vine name?

Edinburg, TX

Does anyone know the name of this vine? I took these photographs of a this fence covered by this vine but cannot find seeds on it anywhere.

I did not see any butterflies frequenting it...does anyone know if butterflies or hummingbirds like it?

Will it grow from a cutting? Am thinking of stopping by during the weekend and asking the owner for some. Or does it grow from seed???

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

another photo...close up

~ Cat

Denver, CO

Lonicera.
The species/cultivar escapes me. Your best bet is a cutting.
Look up the genus in PlantFiles, and you should be able to ID it properly. Easy to grow.
Good luck, and power to those that knock on doors,
K.James

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

TexasPuddyPrint - that certainly is a most beautiful vine....... You might try posting that photo on www.gardenweb.com - I've had a lot of luck getting feedback there....

Good luck - janice

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Cat, I love this vine - very showy! If you could get some cuttings to trade with me, I'd appreciate it - dmail me please!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh that is beautiful!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could try posting this on the ID forum too--I bet someone over there will know exactly what this is.

Hi ecrane3 - being new here - I'm not familiar with the "ID forum" - lol - how would I find that?

thanks much - janice

Mesilla Park, NM

go to top of this page, click on Garden Talk tab, then look at the first topic "General Gardening", it is listed in Alpha.. in the forums there. Identification

Hope I did not confuse you..

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Could be Pyrostegia venusta

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think Patootie is right, p. venusta.

Denver, CO

And I am such a temperate dope! My apologies.

I think I need this plant!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

me too lol. I would love to have a wall of that

I may have to make a trip to Edinburg. If they have that much of it, surely a nursery around there sells it! There's a little nursery on the highway east of Edinburg, I've never stopped there.......might call for a road trip!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

sure wish I could come out that way to hit some of the Nursery around you. We sure don't get the nice plants you have there.

Donna, there's a nursery over in Petal. Have you been to it? I want to come back and go there, lol.

Edinburg, TX

Thanks everyone!!! It sure does look like what Patootie said.

Calalily - That vine was growing all over the fence on the corner of 1st street and Dallas in McAllen...am not sure if Dallas was the intersecting street...but am positive it was on 1st....I know that because I take that backroad to get to Mama Mia's Pizza place out on old 83rd and 1st. If you're parked in Mama's back lot you can see it from the street...a couple of blocks south...it really does stand out!!!

Am thinking Valley Garden Center might have it...but at their prices...eeeek! Will have to check with Top's Nursery out on Cesar Chavez and Wisconsin. Their costs are much much much more reasonable.

Kay - I'll keep you in mind!

~ Cat

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Susie if you make it down we can sure try to get to Petal. Don't remember if it is below Barbs or above.
We usually all get together and hit Davis Nursery just past Loxley. They have a great selection and good prices. The whole road that it is on if full of Nurserys. Daisy and Nadine were down from Tx summer before last. Another friend joined us from Wool Market. We drove over and met up with Trish and Hugo and had a ball

Cat, I've been to Valley, didn't know about Tops. I've got to check them out. I'll get out my map and make a trip over that way. I like to go into Edinburg from 107, it's easier than fighting the road construction!
There is a little nursery down in McAllen, on Ware road I think. Have you been there? She didn't have much back in the fall, but said she would have more stuff in the spring.
Donna, I know the road you're talking about, Ruby took me there! The nursery in Petal, we went to from Hattiesburg and crossed the river into Petal and turned right. I think the lady's name is Hilda. I'm saving my money and hoping to get a week off work to come that way this spring or early summer.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I thought it was somewhere near Barb. Guess I had better stay off e-Bay so I have some money to spend when we go lol. I think between what you and other have sent me, what is promised to me at the plant swap and what I have purchased I should be in good shape for getting this place started as a wildlife sanctuary. Gosh I owe you all so much. Losing all(80%) of my plants and habitat I have spent 12 years working on was so devistating to me and the loss of all my photographs and videos was the worst of all. Those can never be replaced but I still have my memories; for now anyway lol

Sure looks like Patootie "nailed it" !!!

Here's a link for Pyrostegia venusta - Looks like it's not a possiblity for me in Maryland....
It sure is gorgeous !!!

Does come with a warning that it can be quite "aggressive".....

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/pyro_ven.cfm

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

A whole fence of it is beautiful! Why don't you go up the people and ask if you could take cuttings? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked.
:) Donna

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

If there are seeds and it is a honeysuckle it would have berries in the fall and winter. With that much growing they may ask you to take some of it. LOL
Wouldn't it be great if it had a scent such as the wild honeysuckle does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.