Needed: Tips for growing sweet peas

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi all. I've tried several times over the years to grow annual sweet peas, but about the time the first blooms appeared the summer heat did them in. I live in a cool hollow now, so I'm thinking my chances may be better. I think I remember someone saying they started them indoors and had success; any of you do that? My edible peas did well last year and were sown in March, so I'm hoping. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
Neal.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi, they are definately cool weather annuals. I live in a warm area so I put them in in October or so. But I think you are ok with doing them in March. I would look at the back of the pckg. It usually is pretty good. You could start them inside but they are sort of difficult to keep going until you can put them in the ground.What you should do is soak them overnight in warm water and then plant. This really helps with germination since they have such hard shells. But do check the directions, I could be off on the proper month. Good luck.

Ginny

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ginny. I do plan to soak them this time; I'm glad you reminded me. I've followed directions on store bought seed packs, but I think they're a little too generic for the specific needs of this zone. I'm hoping I can get them off to a good start in a cold frame.
Neal.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Neal,
I have started mine from seed in my window boxes, outside, fully exposed and they are coming up well already. I don't know what to expect either, since mine did as yours last year...died as quickly as they sprouted...I planted them too late for my zone..but I have high hope this year, I planted several different colors in the window boxes and have a flat planted with seed...so if mine do come up in the flat I will be happy to share them with you! I planted blues, and pinks...Aren't you READY for Spring! I can hardly wait. Keep me posted on the success of your sweet peas!
Janet

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I've found that they do not like to be transplanted...so if you start them indoors it should be in peat pots. I have planted them directly outside in late winter and had them germinate successfully.

Sandy

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sandy, I was thinking peat pots may be the way to go.

Janet, I bet they'll be a great winter flower for you. Let us know how they do.

Do any of you fertilize them? They're legumes, so I assume they don't need nitrogen, but I wonder if a bloom booster type may be a good thing.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Sweet peas have broken my heart. One year out of 5 have they grown for me, other years they just withered and die...for reasons unknown to me. The one year I had them, they were spectacular. I bought many of those charming little glass sweet pea vases and made little bouquets for people. I had enough to do thematic arrangements: all shades of purple, all pinks, etc. And the fragrance!

I have always soaked them, always planted them in situ, never transplanted, and always inoculated them with the bacillus. The one year they did well, they would get covered with aphids at times, but I would just hose them down and they'd be okay for weeks. I will say...when they did well, they were in the shade in the afternoon. Perhaps that is the key in this zone.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

There is a garden up the street from me that has the most incredible stand of sweetpeas. I saw them today and they are close to blooming. Most beautiful ones I have ever seen. They are planted on the top of a slight slope, put is a few months ago and have those cool black metal tripod things over them for them to climb on. They are going to be magnificent.

Ok, here is my question, does anyone know if it absolutely too late for me to start some in my garden. I meant to do it and yet another thing slipped away. They smell so nice when they bloom.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think it mainly depends on how long it is till you start getting hot weather. Some of the short, bushy varieties that bloom sooner from seed may still be an option for you.
Neal.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks, probably April.

Ginny

Eureka, CA

Janet - I'm supposing when you say you have them in window boxes, they spill over the sides? Nicely? I bought a BUNCH of varieties this year and thought I'd try some in some hanging baskets. As that a normal place for them, or has anyone else tried the cascading thing?

Starting to itch here - we have actually had two days in a row of sunshine with at least two more coming. We've had a very wet/rainy year. Not complaining, because I know there are those that haven't had any rain! But the sun sure feels nice..... and my perennials are starting to pop!

Thanks for any info anyone might have on the sweet pea basket idea.

Sanna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

hi gemini_sage, I recognize you from the rose forum. I have lots of luck with sweet peas and if you think roses are pigs so are sweet peas. I put down tons of manure for them. I think just getting them started is the key. I Start mine in october and they are slow at first. Hmm the weather has been at its coldest 37 degrees at night. So it never really froze. Any how that temp didnt seem to bother the peas. So the ealier you can plant them the better. Peet pots work pretty good.
there about ready to blast off. heres a pic of how big there are now.
lol my make shift sweet pea hoders are embarrising but I spent all my money on roses.

Thumbnail by steph_gem
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Steph,
Yours look so healthy and nice and just ready to burst into full bloom. What a great winter grower for you!

I have them started in my home made plantable newspaper pots and they're growing in the cold frame. They look like they're just about ready to go in the ground. The bed is prepared and well composted for them. And don't be ashamed of your supports for them; mine are old tomato cages ( I leave nothing unused!)
Neal

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Those are some ginormous sweet peas, good going. I think they look awesome. Can you post a pic when they are in full bloom? Thanks.

Ginny

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I was giving up on sweet peas...but you all have given me hope:) I'm going to toss a few seeds out there and see how they do. Maybe I was too fussy with them. I tried starting them indoors a few years ago but all they did was shoot up 8-10 inches and slowly wither away before it was time to go outside. No more mollycoddling the little buggers!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

i just sow them right in the ground. I think it helps if the ground is pretty wet until the get going.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I, too, have talked myself into trying sweet peas again this year. I bought several varieties, soaked them, inoculated them, and sowed them today in moist cool soil where, (when trees leaf out) they will have afternoons in the shade. I kept about half back and will do another round in a few weeks.

Do rabbits like to eat them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.