Fave Georgia gardening books and gurus

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

This info might also be useful to all these folks that are new to Georgia- like Spider07, etc...

Just wondering who y'all like as far as GA gardening experts and what are your fave GA gardening books? I have to say I LOVE Walter Reeves and have 3 of his books:
The GA fruit and vegetable book
GA gardeners guide
Month by month gardening in GA

I don't want to limit myself to good ole Walt, so I hope to get more GA gardening books. Anyone have any more titles?

Also the UGA website has TONS of info on everything garden-related in our fair state. I'll post the link later as I forgot it- sorry!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I, too, love Walter and try to listen to him every Saturday. But sometimes it gets a little old with all the lawn questions. Lately I've been changing to the Joe Gardener show on 920 AM. http://www.joegardener.com/default.asp

I do have to say that sometimes Lisa's voice can get a touch shrill that early in the morning, but its not too bad. Their format is very different than Walter's and is enjoyable. Plus, they are trying to get new listeners so they have some great contests. Last weekend I won 2 tickets to the SE Flower Show. They were giving them to the 6th caller. We'll, I was #2, and in trying to call back messed up a couple of times so it was a full minute that I got through and I was #6! You could never do that on Walter's show!

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

I refer to Walter's month to month book all the time but another book I love is "Home Landscaping, Southeast Region" by Roger Holmes and Rita Buchanan. It won the garden writers association "Quill and Trowel" award. Beautiful illustrations and pictures. Diagrams, step-by step planting instructions, plants recommendations for all types of conditions. I have a lot of sticky notes posted all over this book. I'm so excited about this Georgia forum. Yea for us.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks pins for the Joe info. I never heard of him but I will check him out!

Thanks gliz for the book recommend! I might have to get that one-LOL.

Glitz, I don't have that book, but my friend does. I may need to sneak a peek!!
I have the new Tina Samuels book on Native Plants for GA. It's a MUST for plant-a-holics but not totally geared to gardeners. I am however looking forward to getting Allen Armitages new Natives book for my BD. Although none of Allen's books are geared to the SE per say, he sneaks in any bit of info pertaining to heat and humidity that he can. Either that, or he talks about how well a plant grew in Montreal or Hamilton (his other two gardening climates that I am well familiar with!!). I just bought his more pictorial annual book (geared more to greenhouse production perhaps). Maybe I'm just a gardening groupie...
For beginners you can't beat the Gardening 'Round Atlanta book. Read the last chapter and read it a gazillion times. You will not only learn of great plants but also see the joy and challenge of gardening here.
Herbs for the South. A MUST MUST MUST for Southern Herb gardeners!! Doesn't list rare or unusual herbs, but heck, hardly anyone down here grows those anyway. Maybe we'll get lucky and Denise Smith will write a book. We can only hope.
You can not go wrong with Walter Reeds advice on fruit and vegetables. We garden at church according to his pearls of wisdom. Our garden is fantastic!

GGG

Lilburn, GA

Thank you for thinking for me Berry!

Wow, I did not know these books existed. I have been around Borders lots of time but have never seen them. Maybe they are kept somewhere else. Bakc to Borders tomorrow!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.