Iris

Photo Courtesy of Iris City Gardens

Thumbnail by Joan
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

This is such a prettty one!

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow! That is gorgeous!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yes, it is pretty isn't it. I've been doing a little more research on the Louisiana iris, and I *think* if I plant them on the south side of the house and mulch them really good in the winter, they just might survive here. If I decide to try it, this one would be one I would want. However, maybe I should experiment with a less expensive one first. :)

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Now that's a flower!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Did you ever try it, Joan?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I did, several years, and it didn't work out. It's official that Louisiana Iris don't like it in North Dakota. :(

Too bad. They're so lovely. Mine multiply faster than the rabbits here...well, almost!

...unless you were so inclined to build a little cold frame dedicated to your tender Iris. where there's a will, there's a way...generally speaking lol.

I've always wondered how a plant, too tender for my zone, would do if I laid several unopened bags of mulch on top of them for the winter. I wanted to try it with two dahlias in November but never got to do it.

That's how work-arounds come into being Pirl, people trying ideas they've spawned. Try it!

I'll try to remember this fall and will mark my calendar now.

Keep us posted, good luck. I'm trying a cloche method, covering plants with a translucent container...like a mini greenhouse. I'll be doing this in fall as well. Hey, if it helps with zone pushing, it'll cut down on zonal envy at the very least.

Thanks. Now I have to remember to keep checking the calendar.

Somehow I was spared the zonal envy. Tropical plants seem so out of place on Long Island and I can overwinter fuchsia and other plants on the (indoor, unheated) porch.

Quote from pirl :
Now I have to remember to keep checking the calendar.

Lol...if only there were a way to remind us to remember something...

I bet there's an app for that!

I did mark my gardening calendar so maybe I'll get to try it this fall.

I'd forget the app!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.