Less is More! Really!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

My house used to be so cluttered, I could barely move in here. I had mismatched furniture and nicnacs everywhere. And cleaning was a major chore--too much stuff to move. So you know dusting was something I did quarterly. (Can you relate?)

5 years ago, my mom had several strokes and could no longer live alone, so we moved her out here with us. OMG, my mother was 10 times worse than I was about packratting! My brother hauled two trailerloads of useless junk to the dump. I was honored with the chore of packing up all her "good" stuff and bringing it over here. I got rid of the more useless stuff that I didn't think she'd miss. Of course, now, if she can't find something, she shakes a finger at me, certain I disposed of it. (And I probably did! LOL)

That was my inspiration to clear the crap outta MY house. I've sold and given away a lot of stuff over the last five years, getting rid of book collections, record collections, nicnacs, clothes I don't wear, excess dishes, and craft supplies I no longer use. And the difference is amazing!!

OMG, you can actually see some of the nice stuff I have now! And dusting and sweeping is so much easier with less stuff to move to do it. (So I now dust monthly. LOL)

I still go thru drawers, closets and shelves every month or two and find something else I don't need to hang onto anymore. I'm learning not to become sentimentally attached to most things. I've tried to acquire useful stuff instead of just more nicnacs. For instance, I decorate now with unusual picture frames that hold family photos, instead of acquiring another useless figurine. And I'm getting better about controlling my impulse buying. I used to be bad about buying something I thought was pretty and then trying to figure out how to fit it in with my decor. Do y'all do that?

What are some of your tricks for convincing yourself to get rid of stuff? Do you regularly go thru your closets to clear stuff out? Do you find it hard to let go? What are your rules for whether it stays or goes?

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!