Who's tried fragrant Asiatic lilies?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Last year I was suprised to find (from The Lily Garden) varieties of Asiatics that are described as fragrant, inheriting this trait from L.langkongense. Being a huge fan of any flower that brings olfactory delight, I've got to try some. Any experience with these? How would you describe the fragrance?
Neal.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Neal my mom had one at one time. Brilliant red with yellow veins and a smaell that was wonderous. I was too you to appreciate it then but I do remember she never did anything special to the plant. I think the cats were the final demise!! This was many years ago.

Tina

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

geminisage. I have heard that too, and plan to have some this year. I am starting a fragrant bed right by my front porch, so I can smell them as I sit outside.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

defoecat, have you decided which ones you're planting? The Lily Garden's offerings are so hard to choose from, I love the recurved petals and down facing blooms of the Dr.North hybrids and the CP introductions remind me of butterflies.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I planted Heart Of Passion this past fall, so my first blooms will be this summer. I'm eager to see if it lives up to it's claim.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I grow both white and pink stargazers and the smell is SO heavenly!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yes Kay, I'm already in to the Oriental hybrids and love them. This summer fragrance will knock me down! I have a few and am working on getting more trumpets for the time just before the Orientals get going. That's why I'd love some fragrant Asiatics-they bloom a month earlier :) I have a hedonistic nose, lol.

Moby, where did you get Heart of Passion?

Neal

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh dang it ~ I'm sorry, it's an LA http://www.lilybulb.com/l5313.html

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And it sure is a beauty! I've heard some of the LA hybrids are lightly fragrant, but have'nt tried any yet.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I was just checking TLG and came across 3 that mentioned fragrance. I believe Kooger grows Rosepoint Lace so we'll have to see what she says about it.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yes, I do have Rosepoint Lace. I can't say I remember it being very fragrant but it was so short, maybe I didn't get down low enough? lol And last year that late frost got the majority of my lily buds so only 1 misshapen bloom last year. That was so disappointing!! This year they will all get covered if we have a late frost again!

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I have had stargazer lillies for years and last year I had to divide them , I love them I probably have 20 or more in Cambridge . Each year I buy some more I can never have enought plus it get my husband interested in the garden something smell's good , it is heavenly. My favorite flowers next to roses.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh kooger, how dissapointing. Hope they're tall, multibloomed and sweet smelling this year!

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think I'll try the stargazers now Orchid!!

Tina

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That mass of Stargazers will be stunning! Fragrance wise, most of the Oriental hybrids have the wonderful heady fragrance, but I like the way Stargazer does'nt need staking as much as a lot of the others. I'm so addicted I want to stretch the season of scent as much as possible with varieties that bloom early, mid, and late summer. Now on my obsessive quest, lol.
Neal

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I love my Marco Polo orientals' fragrance - almost gives me a headache, they're so strong! I don't stake them at all and they're over my head now - about 7 years old, I think. I put in 30 new bulbs from the IA Lily sale and don't remember just what I got, without looking them up. They're mulched with about 5-6 in. of bark so I'm hoping all this warm weather we're having is not affecting them. They need to have 'sleepy time' for about 2.5 more months!

Oh, I just checked the scented list on the lily bulb website and one of the new ones I put in is Dipo Lolo! Gosh, I'm SO ready for spring!! LOL

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

A lot of the LAs are described as fragrant. They bloom after the asiatics but before the trumpets, orienpents and orientals. They are longiflorum/asiatic cross; the fragrance coming from the longiflorums. They are wonderful lilies and are very hardy.

The Dipo Lolo mentioned above is a very lovely short LA about 2'. I had quite a show from them last year. Most LAs go 3 to 4'.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

What's wrong with me? I have no LA hybrids! I just realized that my only experience with them is as a cut flower, and the ones I've worked with had huge blooms, but were easily damaged. They did'nt have any fragrance either. But I've overlooked checking them out in the garden. They're inexpensive, fill in a gap in the lily season, and I can find good smellin' ones, so I need to try several.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.