Combinations of Vines in containers or the garden??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I was google-ing the Mexican Flame Vine for growing information and came across this RHS article on interesting viny combinations, especially for containers....

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publications/pubs/garden0403/climbers.asp

Adding in morning glories to add punch, the glory vine, etc., etc.

I have a coral honeysuckle in a pot, but it always looks lonely. I wonder what I can add to it for some interest?

Anyway, this article got me excited about the possibilities, and I was wondering if anyone had other combinations to suggest.

Any pictures?

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm anxiously awaiting some thoughts on this also. I have a couple of small arbors with evegreen wisteria growing and was thinking about adding a mandevilla (maybe pink). This is a non-invasive wisteria, and is a very deep purple that starts blooming in summer (not spring). Not nearly as showy as a chinese wisteria, but is indeed evergreen in zone 8B. I thought about a clematis, but the leaves would be too similar. I need somethng that will give it "punch". Any thoughts?

Tabasco, that article is great and did have lots of suggestions. I've bookmarked it for future reference.
Thanks for posting it.
Barbara

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Tabasco what about yellow Thunbergia Alata?? It would add color but not take it over and is easily removed. Or Blue Clitoria. That would be very pretty

Barb what about White Clitoria Ternatea. Calla still had some seeds for SASE yesterday. You might check with her for seeds. I think the white would reall make the dark purple stand out. Another thought would be red cypress vine but I think the flowers would be to small. Many a combo of the 3. The white would make the red stand out more to and the vine itself is very thin and delicate.

Also Coral Creeper vine(Antigonon leptopus a pretty pink. I have some seedlings potted up for the Florala swap. Do you want me to put you down for a pot??

This message was edited Jan 31, 2006 11:58 PM

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Donna, the Coral Creeper would be great! Thanks! I think I need to stick to a pink since the wisteria is the dark, dark purple and I have confederate jasmine near it so the pink would be the best. Don't you think? I know I could do something yellow, but I tend to go for pinks, purples adn whites. See ya' April 22nd. Thanks!
Barbara

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Barb will put you down for a pot of the pink coral creeper vine for the swap

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Very lovely sounding ideas---I will have to google for a look at them, since I am not too familiar with vines.

I also saw a picture in a book of purple pea pod vines where they suggested combining them with various white or pale pink or yellow flowered vines. Sounded fascinating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.