Northeast Forum Discussion continued...

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

As per Dave's request - here's a new thread on our discussion!!! Here is the link to the start or our conversation http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/570662/#new

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Anita.

Lambertville, NJ(Zone 6a)

I am so glad to see a Northeast forum. I think I saw another Jersey person at the beginning of the previous thread. I'm not too far south for this forum am I?

I have been thinking of doing some cold frames. I have some old windows, just need to make the rest of it. I have a small pop up greenhouse to try this year also. Not sure how sturdy it will be when I get it up, but that was what I found within my budget.

Have been perusing the seed catalogs and ordered a few things. I know I'll once again end up with more seed than I can deal with. this will only be my second year starting things from seed. last year all was going well until my cat decided to dig around in the trays. She was only 9 mo old then.

Hope to be back here soon!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Suzieq, No one is too far south (or west) for our forum. Welcome!
The seed issue is a perrenial one for me. Each year I think: Don't over do it!" and each year I over do it!
Dave

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I did that this year - my first working with seeds - so I'm guessing that next year will be the same!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I haven't ordered anything yet.
I still have most of what I need from last year, but I do need a couple things.
I have lots of my own seed I collected and a few someone sent in exchange last month.
I'm waiting for one last catalog before I decide.
I will not fall victim to over buying/planting this year.
Most of my flowers are perennials so all I need are a few annuals to fill in.
The Dahlias and Oxalis multiply each season so there is a problem there.
I also have dozens of yearling perennials in pots looking for a permanent spot.
There is a new house going up on the lot next to me and that will open up about 100+ sq. ft. by the sidewalk. That area was dug up for the sewer line and I should be able to get something nice from the builder in compensation for the digging. A few yards of top soil would be nice.
I have trees and bushes in pots just waiting for spring.
Andy P

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Glad to see a Northeast forum! I'm in Queens, NY, on the south shore, a stone's throw from Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge. I've seen a woodcock scurrying under our rhododendrons, and there were kinglets on people's lawns last November.

We have a sort of sandy clay landfill soil -- on the sloping side yard, I can grow lavender, yarrow, campanulas, and meadowsweet. But the backyard is under half a foot of water after every heavy rain, and fixing the drain is not an option, so I have two 3'x5' raised beds and a lot of containers. Sometimes in spring the backyard is like a water meadow, crystal clear and laced with ground ivy and weed veronicas. Old rose of sharon bushes and a silver maple tolerate the periodic pond, and I could try other water-lovers if I could dig through all their roots, but containers are easier.

I gardened in the western suburbs of Boston, MA for many years -- guerrila gardening in vacant lots and rental housing -- and I miss Tower Hill Botanic Garden, which was just getting into its stride when I moved down here. That conservatory is a wonderful thing in winter; are there some I don't know about on Long Island, besides Planting Fields?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Dawn - I hear Westbury Gardens is beautiful and I love to visit Clark Gardens in Albertson. Welcome to the forum. I'm in Ronkonkoma - exit 58 on the LIE

Anita

Riverhead, NY

I am so happy to see a Northeast forum . I noticed someone from Ronkonkomo and I am East of that in Riverhead. I am exit 72 at the east end of the expressway. Hello everybody!

Marjorie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Marjorie - That's me !! Exit 58. Pirl is out by you - she's in Southold

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Anita, How do those exit numbers correlate to this side of the pond?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Exit 58 [Ronkonkoma] going north as the crow flies takes you to Bridgeport..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Well maybe not quite north...

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You look a little more like south of New Haven. If you look east of New Haven, I live under that I95 blue & red shield (which is, I guess, why I have so much shade).

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

LOL! OMG! Your funny Dave47(NotDave)
I guess thats why I have so much shade...ha ha ha giggle giggle
maybe you can use that shield to keep the snow off

Hi all, Dave47 brought it to my attention that I have neglected to say hi, so I thought I would check in, I have been so busy please forgive...

Everybody got milk and bread? Now would be a good time to get that snow shovel and put it near your front door, pick up a bag of ice melt and do any other thing you can think of to get ready for a snow storm, maybe if we are ready for it, it wont come?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

well where the heck have you been Dena! Gee Dave...I thought you wouldn't stand under the internet sign with anyone but me?

I've been out in the cold building cold frames...

Thumbnail by GRENTHUMBS
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks almost like a green house - way to go!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome Marjorie!
Dena, Great job. Best one I've seen!
Does that mean Marjorie and Pirl are south of Ivy?
Dave

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yes- they are! Give them a wave why don't you..

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Probably a guy thing, but I like having a geographical picture in my head. If they get away with installing that cable across the sound, we should walk it & meet in the middle before they submerge it.
Dave

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave, I'm like you, I like a visual picture to orient myself with other DGers.
When I'm curious about a location I use the satellite view and zoom out to get a good perspective. Most subscribers give a city/town so I type that into this site and back out. This way I can tell where they are. What big city is nearby or is it mountainous or near the ocean.
Here is the link to my favorite satellite link. http://local.live.com/ Just type in the city/town and the State. Great Geography study, too. To see all the rivers and forests. The images are a few years old so don't go out to wave, LOL.
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Andy. Great link!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave, I initially used it to find my way to appointments. People give me directions and I follow that on the satellite image to get a mental pic. Once I find the house I can use the 'Birds Eye' view to zoom right in.
Here is my house from 17,000 miles up.
My use here for DGers is to zoom out for a wide angle pic. No close-ups like this.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That's way cool Andy. Hey Dave - now we can see each other from space!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Andy, Very cool indeed!
Anita,
Let me know when the camera's on so I can show my good side

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok Dave..I'll give the high sign..keep looking for it! :)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Andy, it is indeed cool, but I went to your link and call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to get an image similar to yours??? All I can get is an image of the road where we live - no "bird's eye view" - what am I doing wrong?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

rcn, Not all areas have the 'birds eye view'.
Try another place you lived at. LOL
Someplace with military significance, maybe. I think these are De-classified images. Not that Brockton, MA is important. We do make great pizza, though.
Andy P

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Andy, my first thought when looking at your photo - where's your pool? or do you just jump the fence and share your neighbor's?

alright, I've spent alot of time this morning trying to get this - figured if I used a local landmark, Washington & Lee University or Virginia Military Institute I might have better luck. After patiently waiting for it to load with this darned DSL, here's a shot of our house. Not sure what year this was taken, but obviously it's over 6 years old because alot of the trees have now grown in and you wouldn't be able to see some of the future garden plots that are showing up here.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

and this is the nursery, just down the road

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

personally, I like this shot better :) My husband took this about ten years ago from a hill overlooking the nursery

Thumbnail by rcn48
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yes..I like the 3rd one better too! Nice shot

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That is a beautiful scene. You are lucky!

East Moriches, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all - I just discovered DG, and am enjoying looking around!

I live on Long Island in East Moriches. That's just below Riverhead on the south shore of LI.

Now that the snow is melting, I'm seeing that I have quite a nice crop of flowers on my hellebores! This is really the first year they've done anything, so I'm very happy!

Just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. They say we're going to have a warm day today, so maybe I'll do a little more exploring outside this afternoon!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome Jamie! We have several Long Islanders around these parts. You will hopefully feel at home.

My hellebores have not bloomed yet. Though I've been working so many nights I haven't had a chance to check this week.

Dave

Well, hello Jamie, and welcome! You will love it here!

Hello to all this fine morning, your shots are great, sorry I didn't speak up sooner, I was skulking...lol
Dena

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey Jamie! I'm in Ronkonkoma - exit 58 LIE! Glad to have you here! I have to wait for the snow to melt some more before I can get down to where the Helleborus is.

East Moriches, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! There's so much to explore around here that I'm having trouble making myself go to work...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.