I have a raised bed question...

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a 4'x8' bed for my vegetable garden and have started harvesting and pulling the ones that are done. I have MG as the soil. Now do I have to dig all the soil out where the plant was or do i just turn over the soil and add a little more soil and compost? The bigger plants like Broccolli have roots everywhere. So is it good for them to decompose in the dirt or try and get them all out.??????

And I have just ordered EB for my tomatoes do i have to empty those when there done?

NEWBIE can ya tell.. hehe

Mich

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Mich,

I am pretty new too but so far I just let all those little roots stay in the ground/earthbox. I just kind of break them up with my hands or the garden claw and then add my fresh soil and compost. I haven't had any problem. With the earthbox I just add enough new soil to get it back up to the level it needs to be but I am no EB expert. This is only my 2nd spring with EB.

Laura

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

That's the way it's done Laura and you sound pretty knowledgeable to me. You can leave the roots or pull them out. It depends on how big they are but no harm either way. I pull any leftover roots out and then add some new soil whether it be MG or Jungle Growth or Pro-Mix or any good quality container or potting mix. Never found out what the difference is between the two as it doesn't seem to matter to my EBs?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.