For leaves only, how much shade can nasturtiums take?

Ashland, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a number of lightly-to-deeply-shady places where I'd really like some quick green. I noticed last year that my nasturtiums really didn't seem to like sun as much as I thought they would - the ones in full sun seemed to fry a bit even when I bumped up the water, and the ones in half-day sun did much better. (Though I can't call that a good experiment, since they were different kinds of nasturtiums.)

So it occurred to me that perhaps nasturtiums are more shade-friendly than I thought, especially if I don't even care about the flowers and just want the leaves. What's your experience with their shade tolerance? I'm also wondering - if I take away their sun, will I need to give them plushier lives in other ways? (More fertilizer and water, for example?)

Burnet

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 3:53 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have them in a fairly shady area and they do just fine-and then some. I have about 6 colors. I cannot seem to grow the pink one though. I water them when I remember and feed a couple of times a year. Keeping them only where I want them is a bigger challenge.

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

I've got nasturtiums growing in various places in my yard -- sunny, part shade, and almost always shady. The ones that receive part shade seem to do the best (the flowers don't bleach out like some colors can do in full sun). The nasturtiums in the shadiest areas of my garden don't flower as much as the others, but the leaves look fine and there is limited flowering.

All my nasturtiums, no matter how much sun or shade they get, seem to prefer to be on the dry side (no more than average amt water) and soil that isn't too rich. However, if you're just after leaves, you might want to give them more water and soil additives (compost, fertilizer, etc.) than is generally recommended, since those things are supposed to promote leaf growth at the expense of flowers.

For good-looking leaves, you might try Empress of India (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51754/index.html) or one of the Alaska types (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51753/index.html). (Personally, I think the Alaskas are unattractive in flower, and I pinch the flowers off!)

One more thing: nasturtiums are tough, fast-growing plants that come back each year whether you want them to or not; luckily, the volunteers are easy to yank if you don't want them anymore. Good luck!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 1:25 AM

Ashland, OR(Zone 8a)

Cool! Thanks, everybody. I think I'll plant some test nasturtiums pretty near everywhere that's bare this year, and see how it goes.

Burnet

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Whey are yall going to plant your nasturtium seeds? I am in 8b. Thanks.

Ashland, OR(Zone 8a)

Last year I planted them intermittently in various places from roughly May to roughly August, though I'd guess that they don't need to wait nearly as long as May. This year I thought I'd get a whole quarter pound from Johnny's, along with an ounce of alyssum, store them both properly, and try them everywhere and anytime, starting even in February in a small way, to see when they come up.

Burnet

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Another plant that does well in more shade than normally thought is helichrysum. I have 'Licorice', 'Variegata' and 'Limelight' in full but bright shade (one of those CA oxymorons that probably is equivalent to medium shade elsewhere) and they are spreading fast, as always. Even more drought resistant than nasturtiums and evergreen to boot. Flowers are inconspicuous. 'Variegata' and 'Limelight' really set off other plants well by brightening up shady corners.

Ashland, OR(Zone 8a)

Ooh! Quick green in shade that's drought tolerant? I'll try that, too, thank you.

Burnet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.