Forsythia fasciated

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was onsite of a landscape design I'm doing and I noticed a branch of Forsythia that was fasciated. At first I didn't think it was part of the Forsythia until I followed the stem. Do ya think it's worth propagating and is there already something like this in cultivation? I just thought the fan-shaped branches in arrangements might make a cool splash in floral arrangements. I must do a clean-up job on it anyways.

growin, can you post a photo of that please. I'd be interested in taking a look see.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Sure. I was going to go back for a pic but the weather has turned cold, wet, windy. It's not a wide fan, just widening of the stem and it's about 10' up so I'll try and get a good shot of it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This behavior is not often stable in Forsythia, and it either dies or reverts to normal.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It looks like the plant is about to bloom but my books do mention nodal winter cuttings so I guess it couldn't hurt and see if the fasciation sticks. I do have to take out the stem as it stick way up over the rest of the shrub anyways. I'll try and get a shot of it when I clip it out.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I've not seen it on Forsythia but I echo Vibe's caution that many of these fasciations on other species are unstable. Still, you're right -- what would it hurt to root it and see what happens?

Guy S.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd agree with VV - I have seen it on Forsythia (in fact, I can't think of a tree or shrub that shows fasciation more often), but it doesn't persist, just odd branches here and there, most commonly on very vigorous sprouts after hard pruning

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Resin, it was on a particularly tall shoot so you're probably right. I just happen to notice it.

I'd still like to see a photo. Call me a simpleton but there's nothing more beautiful than a clear vase filled with pebbles containing an interesting branch in bloom.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

EQ: how about if we merely referred to you as:

Artless

Primitive
Lacking complexity
Unalloyed
Modest

Ha ha ha! Interesting adjectives. Unalloyed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.