Excited about worm composting

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I checked through the threads here and didn't see anything about worm composting specifically. I've recently made the decision to try it and I have some questions if anyone can help.

I won't get into detail now, just in case I'm in the wrong place for this discussion, although it seems right from what I've read. I noticed someone was suggesting a vermicomposting forum but I don't see it.

I've got the bedding all ready, and my order of starter worms arrives tomorrow. Almost like getting a new puppy!

Cheers from Canada --Andrew

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Dear Andrew in Canada, I envy you. I so much want to work with worms, but my husband thinks they are so gross he doesn't want me to do it.

Denver, CO

I must boast here with a two-cubic yard+ vermicompost running now. It has a few situation-advantages over microbial composting, and it is the greatest fun. Ask away, I'm sure someone knows the answer. Enjoy, Andrew!
K. James

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I too am very interested in this subject. I've recently bought a couple of books on the subject just to see if this is really something I want to do and my interest is still alive and well. I was thinking about having the worm bin in the house until I read that a worm bin could have more critters in it than just worms. So now I'm considering where in the garage I could put one. In any event, I will definitely follow this post.

Betty

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Andrew, this is the right place to post vermicomposting questions.

I plan to start this spring, myself.

Denver, CO

I did have a recent infestaion of small white mites that moved like living milk over the container- thus the vermicompost is outdoors now. It is unusual to have that though, if it is healthy.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

We were recently given a worm bin (the rubbermaid looking one) but I was hoping to find worms locally instead of ordering. I have been reading up on worms and all of them seem to be inside so I wouldn't think it mattered if it was winter here. Can the bin go outside depending on the temps?

-Kim

Denver, CO

With the right worm species. Outdoors, you need the redworm. Danged if I recall the latin... Oh yes: E. foetida (don't mind the meaning of the latin name!) The other worms (not outdoors) are tiger worms. Or (Brindling?) Worms. I've not tried these.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I will look them up!

Memphis, TN

I took up worm composting last May and it has been a great experience. The specific type of worm is best known as Red Wigglers or Tiger Worm. The common earthworm as I've read is not suited for composting.

I mainly use food scraps (lettuce, apples, potato skins, carrots, etc) with some shredded newspaper for bedding.

I read alot about worm bins but frankly have been using a covered rubbermaid container since day one without any issues. Ocassionally I need to place at an angle and drain out some accumlated liquid but that has been very infrequent.

In the time since I've started, I've accumulated about 30-40 quarts of worm castings. The castings are very 'earthy' smelling and I am looking forward to using a good portion as I transplant some plants grown from seeds this year.

All in all, it is a great additional hobby to add to the gardening hobby. I'm new at it but enjoying it nonetheless. I can provide more insight should anyone be interested.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, I don't know much about worms so that means you know more than me! Do you know if you order worms they come with enough dirt or do you need to add anything before they go into the bin? I am picturing a can of worms:) in a big empty bin. Just tell me to get a book if I ask too many questions.

-Kim

in the panhandle, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello! My worms got a terrible welcome to their new home. A huge thunder and lightening storm had them trying to escape the morning after they arrived! I pushed them all back into the bedding and covered them back up. They did NOT look happy or very healthy for that matter. I guess the trip through the mail and being so dry was hard on them...then the storm. Maybe I'll go take a peek later to see if they are doing better.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Worm growing has become one of my favorite pastimes.I have three bins,out side ,and manage to keep the temp,around 60degs in zone 7b.I realize that is no chalange,this year,but what I do is,build a box within a box(plywood),put chips from my DR chipper,between the boxes.I take two large truck tubes,put water in them,and put two smaller tubes inside them.This would be on top of the pile,and I cover them with tar paper,for mr.sun to heat ,and the water holds the temp pretty well.About a mounth ago,I discoverd some thing strange,when I uncovered my oldest most ragged vermicompost bin,I discoverd that a mole had moved in.In desperation I tried to find and destroy it,and could not find it,but discovered I had no grubs,or other creatures,in the bin.I have left molie alone,and the worms are still multiplying.

York, PE(Zone 5a)

Hi,
New here....
Just got my worms and bin today. Now I know I need a life when I can actually get excited about worms.
I don't think my worms are very happy yet. They keep trying to climb out of the bin. They spent 5 days in transport, which I'm sure was very upsetting for the little verms, but they should settle down soon. ...... I hope.
I used shredded newspaper, some soil, and added some juicer pulp for their first feeding. There is a package of lime that came with them, but I'm not sure how much to use, so I mashed the egg shells from dinner tonight and threw them in instead.

Do you think the worms are crawling up the sides of the bin because of the change in environment for them? Will they settle down soon?

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I have watched this thread for a while. I wanted worms, but my husband is opposed. I did not know they sometimes crawled out of the bins! He would freak out if that happened. I'll just have to give up on this idea.

York, PE(Zone 5a)

Oh no, MissGarney. Don't let that discourage you. They didn't get OUT. I added a few pinches of lime and put a few extra holes in the lid and now they've settled right down.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

andycdn, I forgot about this because it's been a long time since I started vermicomposting. when I first set up my worm bin, I was told to put in some cornmeal to get them started, it worked really well. hostajim1

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Re worms and cornmeal: A long time ago, I saw a TV show about an earthworm festival somehwere, and they had made large quantities of earthworm chili. For 3 days before making the chili, they fed the worms cornmeal only: to clean out their digestive tracts. They said that earthworms are high in protein and you can't really taste them in the chili, which is highly seasoned. Something to keep in mind in case you find yourself marooned on an island with rich organic soil.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This is the same technique used to plump up mussels and rid them of the grit in their guts and shells. Somehow I feel better about eating mussels than worms, but I guess that's just me.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

A certin hamburger chain had worms in their ground beef,back in the 1970's,most of us older folks have eaten worms.

Millers Creek, NC

I have had my rubbermaid worm bin for a couple of years,and love having the castings. This is the first time I have heard of feeding them cornmeal though,Just might have to give my babies some cornmeal too.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

andycdn..."Somehow I feel better about eating mussels than worms, but I guess that's just me."

Hehehe...you reckon the worms just need more seasonings? (As for me, let the worms keep working while me and you eat the mussels! And the clams, oysters, and, and...well, don't get me started!)

I love my worm bin. I use an old chest freezer and it works great! Soon, I hope to get more into pit systems/in-ground beds.

Here's a nice juicy pic! A handful of castings, handful of worms.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Carrollton, TX

I'm interested in trying worm composting, but with two kids and two dogs, I can picture a very ugly scene if I tried it indoors. I'm wondering if the worms could survive the summer heat in Dallas, TX either outdoors or in the garage.

Pioneer, CA

I recently renewed my membership in Dave's, haven't been on for such a long time- too much going on. But I'm gong to jump in here. A couple of years ago I acquired a truck load of horse manure from a neighbor that was Full of red worms. I added as many as I could to my compost bins (I have four of them) and now have literally thousands of them. I sift my compost and transfer the worms to the next composter, they just keep doing their thing and the population has grown to unbelievable numbers.I don't know how I'm going to manage moving them this year because there are so many of them, but I'll do it. I love doing this because I know my compost is full of castings.We have some very cold winters and they just go to the bottom part of the bins and survive very well, they keep cool in the summer too.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I am trying the cornmeal in my bin,as far as the worms trying to climb out they were drowning and all I had to do was let the moisture out,and have'nt had a problem since..I used to buy my castings now I got my own,and my plants love it...!! :o)))

Loretta...

I've read haphazardly on the subject of 'worm farming', and now have a vague and general idea that worms need to be monitored, the soil sifted, egg cocoons (processed somehow)... Food goes in, castings come out, populations divide, rooms fill, roof lifts... I'm great with all that, but I'm fuzzy on population control -- sifting soil and cocoons, that sort of thing.
I don't have thousands of dollars to invest in a commercial business, but I'd like to have my little cottage industry running along similar sensible guidelines: monitor and control worm populations to maximize productivity. Does anyone here separate the cocoons, breed worms in nurseries, isolate same-size worms so that their behaviour can be better monitored (according to breeding cycles and rate of food consumption)...?

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Gregp, why don't you start a seperate thread with what you wrote? some great questions. I've been worm composting for over 5 years i'm up to two very big rubbermaids that work well and are not that expensive. I drilled holes in them on the sides and a couple in the bottom with a pan to catch drippings (good stuff) I've known a few people who tried to go commercial but the profit margin isn't that big. also the worm compost bins that they sell aren't all that efficient, that it warrants the expense as far as I'm concerned, but that is my opinion. I'm sure someone would argue that it is. when I harvest compost I just scoop of the top layer. to start over and take the rest to spread around my garden. lol hostajim1

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Greg, I think there are a few commercial worm growers on the worm digest website... give it a try and read the posts. It's free to join.

I paid $30 for 1/2 pound of worms, so there just might be money in it! I'm just growing for my own use of the compost, and to reduce/recycle my organic garbage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.