next

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

and finished

Thumbnail by notmartha
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori,
did you construct this from a kit?

It's wonderful! Do you heat it? Do you start daylilies in your greenhouse?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

no it wasnt a kit! we had the windows and dh drew up the plans and 3/4 of the way done he says thats all i had plans for-LOL we did make 6ft of the north east wall out of fitted elm that was laying around
NO HEAT till about march and DL seeds are started in the house in Jan
The windows were all FREE and all we had to pay for was the WOOD. The crank out windows all have screens and the door is from a sliding glass door! I start all my potted plants that i sell in there it gives them a head start on spring. I do start other things in there from seed.

I have collected a bunch more windows ;)

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow that's amazing! It sure looks like a professional greenhouse.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Dori, you're so smart!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thank you :) my dh did most of the work :)

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I was going to ask about venting, then saw the picture with the tilting windows.

Where oh where do you find the windows?

Someday I will have my greenhouse! I've asked hubby if he could make the garden shed into a small greenhouse for me. He just looks at me sideways.
The garden shed began as a playhouse for the kids ... which they never used. After 2 years I grabbed it. Now I would love another shed like this but with windows.

Here is a picture of the garden shed.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is the north side of the shed and my new Hosta Garden I put in last summer. ☺
The west side is shaded by trees. But I would love to put windows in the front and on the south.

It is only 8x6 (I think), but that would be enough for me ... for now. But where would I put all my garden supplies?

Can I say I'm jealous of your greenhouse and all your land!!!!

sharon

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Sharon, what a cute shed, I love it!

Don't know how you can convert it into a greenhouse, but it looks like you have room for another structure. ;)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

WOW Dori, That is some greenhouse! You are very lucky to have a husband who is so handy to build you such a wonderful greenhouse! It looks very professional.

I have one of those fancy light units but since we've moved I can't seem to find anywhere to put it. I may wind up putting it in the bunkhouse eventually. I do love to start my plants from seed but with all the other work to be done around here I've just been buying my plants in the spring.

I didn't know you sold plants. Where do you sell them? Do you ebay?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Tree, On the trellis side of the shed I put in a hummingbird/butterfly garden last year. No room there anymore for a greenhouse. :o( But I love the garden. Hubby even liked it!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

That's absolutely beautiful toofew ............... what, no animals roaming in that beautiful setting!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I didn't know you sold plants.---- i dabble a little
Where do you sell them? -----here at my house-!
Do you ebay?------Never
i have to get rid of extras-end up giving lots more away then i sell!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2008 10:44 AM

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Tree_Climber-I do have 2 cats, but only one 'roam' the range. By the way, the path goes nowhere ... just back into the small wood the school owns and it is kind of swampy. I claimed just a tiny part last year and planted some grape hyacinths in a couple high spots.

Dori, I will just have to try really hard to come out and see your greenhouse this summer on the way to the cottage.

I've sold 'things' on ebay, but never plants.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd love to see a photo of how your Greenhouse looks now Dori.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

last spring

Thumbnail by notmartha
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

looks great Dori!

What size is it?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow! That looks fantastic.

Do you have burlap covering the ground?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

its 12X16 could be bigger but i wasnt complaining-just built it honey!

the floor is 6in packed sand with upside down carpet on top

Thumbnail by notmartha
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have got to build one this summer!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Dori,
I am in awe, wanting a gh,the neighbor put in new windows last year,the co. put the old ones at the curb,guess who was hauling them to my work shop when I got home and saw them? LOL
Thinking of maybe turning one end of the workshop into a gh,not sure how to accomplish that though.I got some great ideas from the people on DG,yours is my favorite so far. Becki

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Great ideas, I am picking up some windows tomorrow, 4 by 4, not sure how many yet and hope to have hubby help me build a small greenhouse or get more windows and material and build a larger one. I've been looking at pics all over the net. This is a great looking one.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I saw that gh on trash to treasure, its beautiful.

we have been collecting windows, then throwing them out as they won't work. we intend to
build a gh onto the deck, that still needs to be built off the living room slider. I want the
gh to be openable to the house so the woodstove can heat it too during the winter.
during the summer, I want the side windows to be openable for screens so we can sit
out there and not be consumed by mosquitos. ugh ugh ugh.
Sher

progress: have decking wood. now have huge 16' 12 x 2's for connecting to house and
supports. have a hole digger now too. making good forward progress.

need metal hangers, concrete and sono tubes and strength to dig holes. I might hire
a local boy to dig the holes. we are vamping up strength system to suppoort gh and
porch covering for this deck.

ruh roh. DH just moved 2x 12's into barn for the winter. so, that job won't be done this
year. oh well.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well here's my summer project 05/18/09.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

05/31/09

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

And finally 08/20/09. All the windows were free. Since I was working with basically a flat roof, windows wouldn't work, so clear polycarbonate roofing sheets were used. The storm door was a used $20 purchase. It will be used for starting tomato seedlings in late winter/early spring and for a potting shed. It has an shuttered exhaust fan on the left end which really helps keep it cooler on those real hot days. It's about 8 ft by 11.5 ft.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow it looks wonderful-your going to love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.