no blooms on winter flowering cherry

Middletown, CT

My winter flowering cherry did not bloom this december. I live in CT - and it has bloomed less and less each year - and this year - none at all. IT is growing strong - but the whole reason why I planted it is because of its bloom time. I does bloom again in the spring - but that does nothing to brighten up my winter

Any ideas?

I feel bad you've had no responses. Do you still have the tag that came with the tree? Did you perhaps write down what it was on a scrap of paper or would you be able to call the nursery where you bought it to ask them what the binomial is to the plant you purchased. It would be great if you could please share the Latin name of your winter flowering cherry.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, me too. But it's hard to comment if we don't know what plant you have (i.e., botanical name).

If it is a true cherry (genus Prunus) perhaps it's being shaded out gradually be adjacent tree growth? Shade stresses them and inhibits flowering. Just a thought to get things started.

Guy S.

Middletown, CT

I can find out - because if was in the book "down the garden path" which is a campy old gardening journal.

I will try to look it up tonight

Thanks for following up

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd assume it is Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis' (that's what's usually referred to as "winter flowering cherry").

As to why it's stopped flowering - the fact that it is growing strongly suggests to me it is a recently-planted tree that has now recovered from transplanting shock, and is starting to grow strongly to build up its trunk and crown size. When young trees are growing fast, flowering is low priority for the tree. Earlier, when it was still in transplant shock, it was flowering because (anthropomorphically) it didn't know if it was going to live or not and wanted a chance to reproduce before possibly dying.

Give it a few years, and it should start flowering again when it has got larger and stronger.

Might also be worth having a soil analysis done, to see if the soil is low in K or P; if it is, then add some K or P fertiliser.

Resin

Middletown, CT

it is Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis' - but it has been there for 6-5 years now. Have had blooms every year since 2nd. It is (or was)beautuful to have the blooms in December. I really miss it this year.

It has been very mild here - almost too mild - could that affect it?

I also trimmed it a bit last year - could it be that it only bloom on first years growth in the winter?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Mild weather usually brings the flowers on more. Trimming might well affect the flowering, though; I'd guess it would be best left untrimmed

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.