Trumpet Vine Questions

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I've been to the CPCS site to check and cannot find any info on the toxicity of the Trumpet Vine. Are they? I would like to plant them along the fence so as not to look at our neighbor when he swims, and I have a horse in the field and he would have acess to them.TIA....Lauri

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From the USDA website:

Warning: Contact with the leaves and flowers of trumpet creeper results in skin redness and swelling among mammals. It is also slightly toxic if ingested.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kay, I guess I'll just have to find something else...Lauri

Mc Call Creek, MS

Lauri, you'll be glad you did. These things are terribly invasive and impossible to kill. We have 70 acres infested with this stuff! Arghh!

Another Kay

(Hello Kay Jones!) Nice to see you again!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

A little more about trumpet creeper. In our area it is referred to as cow-itch vines because they can cause contact dermatitis in mammals. I have it growing on my property and have never had any reaction to it. Also the other colors that are in the nurseries - red and yellow - may not be as aggresive as the orange is. The orange is like a native where I live. The hummingbirds absolutely LOVE this plant, its one of their favorite, so it is well worth growing, but consideration should be given to its location. It can spread underground over the long haul and start popping up anywhere, so you might want to bury it in a container. On the plus side, it will climb on brick or block walls and cover a wall beautifully, as well as can be trained into a tree like the wisteria, and can be a very attractive addition to your property.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.