Anyone have a Datura seedling pic?

Phoenix, AZ

I found a seedling in the pot with my Datura. A pod had exploded that I hadn't noticed. I've been babying this seedling, it just doesn't look too much like a Datura? With my luck it is something a bird deposited and I'm babying a WEED! LOL!!

Thanks for your help!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

There is a small plant picture on this plant file. It is way down near the end of the 39 pics. It may help.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/355/index.html

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Sheila! Mine DEFINATELY is NOT a Datura :( It has very narrow long leaves. Oh well.....

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

This is one of my Datura seedlings.
Janett

Edit I post the picture a little later DG is having some troubles and the picture didn't show up

This message was edited Jan 31, 2006 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

going to try again

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

and again

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks! tayson80

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Is it a datura you have or ??
Janett

Phoenix, AZ

I have a lot of bird feeders in my yard, my guess is whatever I have was donated from a bird :o

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Fish_knees! Hallo! I have just had a number of Datura metel (Angel's Trumpet Ballerina mix), seedlings sprout, and they are about 2" tall with 2 very long, narrow leaves. Maybe it is?? We all know that seeds don't always sprout true, eh? Or did you already pluck it?!

Phoenix, AZ

Oh..it wasn't even close To a Datura LOL!! I'm sure it came from the bird feeder and some bird "donated" it ;)
I do have a double purple, double yellow and lilac that I planted on 2/8 and left them in 1 gallon pots in the yard. This week they all sprouted! I took everyones advice and just forgot about them! Unfortunately SOMETHING ate the tiny leaves off of 3 of the lilac :(

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Tomato horned worms are my first guess as to what it might be. It would be too early for them I believe; so it could be snails???

Phoenix, AZ

Snails or potato bugs :(

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is my find on a Datura. It is the Hornworm that turns into the Sphinx Moth.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Phoenix, AZ

YIKES!!!!!
Whenever I find those I throw them in the Koi pond, the fishies slurp em up like spaghetti :)

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

AHHHH! I haven't seen one of those since I was a little kid. They still give me the creeps.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They are hard to notice on the Datura because they blend in so well. Until I lost leaves in mass I wasn't looking. But this year may be different. A neighbor beside me and behind me said that bats have come to their swimming pools late in the evening. So the man behind me put up two bat houses in the middle of his lower lot. He hopes to raise a colony of a 100 or more. They will be a good natural insect control in our area.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I use to buy those horn worms for food for my Chameleon we had as a pet!!! Those suckers can EAT!

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

In my master gardening class last night the instructor said to "pick them off the plant, throw them on the ground, and stomp on them - Quick!"

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think they are cool looking and I have to have some moths for the bats in the neighborhood to eat! LOL! I have a lot of Datura's now, where I only had the one that year. Last year I had non producing tomato vines that I put them on when I found them. by fall they didn't have any leaves on them.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I need a bat house now...nature is wonderful (with a little help from us)..I take those horn worms way out in the woods and tell them not to come back or else... I love tomatoes better yum yum...

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Have you ever seen a baby bat??? Last summer I saw one hanging from a big blade of grass. Naked little body, not as big as a peanut. I guess it fell from the nest.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

The hornworms, unstomped, wind up covered with the white eggs of a specific wasp. If I recall correctly, the idea is that if you can let the worm chomp on a piece of tomato or a leaf you remove from your brug or datura, then by multiplying the wasps, you prevent the incidence of the worms in future years, and the host hornworm dies without pupating. Is this right, worm experts?

Peter

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Not the expert, but here is the info on the braconid wasp, enemy of the hornworm.
http://www.bugladyconsulting.com/Braconid%20%20Wasps.htm

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

So, with the short life cycle of the braconid wasp, it can knock off lots of hornworms in a season! I like to celebrate this -- but there was a thread last year in the butterflies forum, where folks were posting endless pictures of their pet hornworms. Go figure! (sorry, hornworm lovers.!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I saw that too. I hate to admit, thought it was cute and admusing! I didn't kill the ones I found last year, just relocated them to plants further back in the yard or some that weren't doing much. The moth's are stunning and like i said earlier, the bats need food. LOL!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Gotta work with mother nature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.