Recommended Small Street Trees

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll pick up where Viburnum Vandal left off on the other thread...

Small, awesome street trees? There are some. Before I go to the good ones, let me disparage the bad ones a bit. Callery Pears? Invasive and over-used. I wasn't too keen on the Ash idea either for the same reason Guy mentioned, however, since you are on the West Coast, that may not be an issue for you for a long time, if ever. Fraxinus pennsylvanica does become a large tree, however.

Of the maples, Acer truncatum and Acer buergerianum immediately leap to mind. I have seen the incredible Acer griseum used as a street tree, although it is almost painfully slow growing. Acer triflorum, too, would be a good choice.

Hornbeams. Love 'em. Carpinus betulis "Fastigiata" probably does reach wire height, although it will do so slowly. Heritage Seedlings in Washington is now listing a lot of very rare hornbeams, several of which might be better choices because they don't grow as tall. C. japonica is a relatively common hornbeam, it might grow a little wide, however. But for hornbeam suggestions I would contact Heritage Seedlings for ideas.

Hawthorns make awesome street trees. Check with your local county extension office for the best hawthorn choices for your area, as some pest and disease issues exist. Around here, the Washington Hawthorn and especially "Winter King" hawthorn are common and excellent choices. Unlike maples and hornbeams, these have beautiful flower and then fruit displays.

Some crabapples, too, make good street trees. All the same as for hawthorns, especially about checking with your extension agent about good selections. Also, choose a selection with small fruit so as to not create slick roads and traffic accidents. Keep in mind the mature form, as well, some crabs grow short and fat, some tall and narrow, etc.

I really like Guy's suggestion of Ostrya, the hop-hornbeam.

Kentucky coffee trees are being used to great effect here in Cincinnati as a street tree. Great tree, but a taller one, for those sites without wires perhaps.

Again, a tall tree but a great one, London Plane tree is the classic city street tree. Used for this purpose a lot, some would say too much, but it is so good and so fine.

Honeylocust and Gingko two other classic city street trees. Watch the overall heights, however. Ditto Lacebark Elm, Ulmus parviflora.

Some of the cherries might make good choices. Generally, they are small, flowering trees. Some have disease issues, and few live terribly long. I'm just throwing this idea out there for others to expound upon.

I am now officially out of ideas.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.