Northern Lights?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have experience with, or have this greenhouse from Gardner's Supply Co.?

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Gosh! I can't believe no one knows anything about this one? Would some of you go to Gardenerssupply.com and check it out and give my an honest opinion please? Thanks.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very nice, virtual tour they give on there greenhouse,is excellant.
Rather expensive,but not bad for the sale price.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thank you Don! Do you think this material would be as good as polycarbonate?
And what about the diffusing as opposed to a greenhouse shade cover?
So many things to think about!

Fulton, MO

I looked at the video; I've never heard of Tedlar/Courtyard. R of 2.58 would be great, better than triple-wall polycarb. Unfortunately, the R-values they give for the other glazings are wrong (or at least not the commonly accepted numbers) so it makes me suspicious of the Tedlar/Courtyard 2.58 value as well.

Why wouldn't you just go with that new Harbor Freight 10' x 12' GH for $699? The HFGH is 4mm PC.

I would still generally recommend shade cloth in summer, but it all depends on what you are growing and what time of year you'll be using the house.
SB

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Marcy! I have to ask, as handy as you and hubby are, why not build your own? I think for the price of this one, you guys could build a really nice one and just buy 6-8mm polycarb. I would have done that but had time and $ constraints at the time. I do think this one is shaped really neat and it looks nice too! I think the price is high though and I think you might still need the shade cloth too.

Oh for the link www.gardeners.com or www.gardenersupply.com Just type northern lights in the search box.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Stressbaby and Michele!
I have looked at the Harbor Freight Stressbaby. I don't think 4mm is thick enough in our climate here. It does look like a nice one though!
Chele, lol, where DID you get the idea we are handy here?????
Hubby is NOT, I repeat, not into building a greenhouse. And I couldn't do it by myself.
I do have a guy that would build me one for a price. I am just still on the fence about it all!
Thanks for adding the link to this thread...guess I didn't think that far!
Every year I say I am getting a greenhouse, and start looking. So far, it hasn't happened. BUT............I will just do it one of these days!
Thanks again for the input all!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Marcia,I wonder if it's possible to contact any of the people that are
listed on the Northern greenhouse web page,and see if what they say there,will still say the same thing ,and are just as happy with the greenhouse now,or possible doing a better business search on the greenhouse itself.
I did do a search on tedlar and it is used quite extensively in the aircraft
industry,as well as many other uses in other solar and thermal products.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL What about the beautiful arbors and gazebo and the swing? Did hubby and a friend build those for you? Maybe I am losing it! Have you ever looked at the one Jim Kennard posted in extras? Now that I have the space, I am having a hard time between looking at those hoop house type and building one from lumber and there are just so many possibilities! I wonder if you couldn't get a nice professional model for the price of the one you are thinking about buying.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Don, that is interesting to know about the use of the Tedlar! And a good idea in contacting some of those people too. I just sent an email to the Gardner's Supply to ask about it. I will also try to do a BBB search on it...good ideas! Thanks!

Chele,
ALL of those arbors and the swing were purchased. My hubby is very good about digging, mowing, and all the other heavy work that I couldn't do...but he doesn't build things! I wish!
Yes, I have seen the Jim Kinnard greenhouse. It looks great too! I really don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I do want to get one that will last as long as I do...lol!
As for a professional model greenhouse, I would LOVE to have a large one, but hubby just doesn't understand the need for it, and wouldn't give up the cropland for me to have it . Oh well, I think a 10x12 or so will do me. (famous last words!)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just wait until hubby sees how much use you get out of it, how much enjoyment you get from it and how you will happily 'go to your room'. LOL Maybe he'll insist you buy a larger one. :)

Fulton, MO

Marcy, please post back with any information from Gardner's Supply on Tedlar use in a greenhouse. SB

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Chele,
It's kinda like everything else....as soon as he finds out HE likes it....it will be fine!! LOL!
Stressbaby, I will certainly post back if I hear anything from them.
I did get an email back saying they don't have a program in place as of right now to contact others?? But they would try and contact one of their previous customers to see if they could contact me. We will see. They did tell me to call their toll free number if I had any questions.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL All a matter of pushing the buttons huh? LOL

Hey, how does this one compare to what you are looking at? I am too lazy to look up the specs but this one has 8mm twin polycarb, the size is close and the design looks the same. You can save $1K too. LOL

http://www.growerssupply.com

If it does not take you right to the page, the model is the Solar Star.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2006 5:58 PM

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmmmmm....Michele....I looked at this...same size 10x12...was actually 100. more than the other one????? Are you sure you looked at that right?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just got the catalogue. It is on sale. I think I pointed it out because it has 8mm polycarb. I'm not sure about the other covering the NL one has. Maybe my two brain cells are fighting again. LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL! And I meant to say 1000. more..not 100.! My brain cells fight too!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, you made me look again.

I had the northern lights one at 9'9" x 12'7" on sale for $2,495 (number 300-203 at www.gardeners.com)

and the solar star at 10'4" x 12'4" on sale for $2,395 (number 10491 at www.growersupply.com)

I must have meant save $100 before. I am a bit brain wrecked lately. Judging by the snow coming down, I will get to catch up on sleep. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was looking for something else and found this. I don't know anything about them though. http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/woodengreenhouses.html

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

MIchele, thank you! I will check it out...I like the looks of it!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think they are pretty and the prices look reasonable. Did you see the one with the wood raised beds and lights? Gorgeous!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes I did! Ohhh what I wouldn't give for one of those BIG ones...LOL!
Did you see the testimony from the Ohioan that had had his for 25 yrs??
Now that really makes you think!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.