Plugs and Liners

Grandy, NC(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have any experience with buying ornamental grass plugs or liners. I have a lot of ground to cover with a limited budget? Where and when would you suggest buying them?

Nancy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would love to find that out too. I am looking for both regular mondo grass and that new, curly type.

you could make your own plugs fairly cheaply, i think.
i keep hearing that grasses are very easily started from
seed. a big bonus of starting grasses from seed is that
you don't thin the seedlings - so you end up with a plug
the size of the container you sowed them in. i'm thinking
black plastic nursery containers would work just fine and
they come in a large variety of sizes.
dig

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree that your best bet would be to start your own from seed. I would check around on the internet for the types that might do well for you then buy one of each to grow this year and see how you like them. Then you could order seed for what you want. It takes a while starting from seed to have something you can enjoy in the garden plus you could collect seed from any non-hybrids yourself this year. I would think most gallon sized ones could be divided up at least by half if you wanted to get a head start. Most nurseries recommend planting them out early in the growing season. I love the Muhlenbergias. Check out the Plant Delights website for lots of other candidates- they can tell you what does well here in NC.

Shari

Peter Loewer also wrote a book on ornamental grasses. It was titled for the South East, but it is really most appropriate for the Carolinas. Good book.

GGG

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have not looked recently but Mondo seeds were hard to come by the last time I looked. I have been buying gallon pots and dividing them myself.

Carthage, NC

I have been looking for a while now for pink muhly grass seed. I have this vision of my driveway lined on either side with the autumn sun shining through as if to light them on fire. I toyed with the idea of taking seed from some of the plants at work but I was not sure how or when to gather. If anyone can tell me I would be glad to share some seed. Adele

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Adele, I am wintersowing some Muhlenbergia filipes and lindheimeri this year. I got the seed as a trade- came from someone's garden. I'll let you know if I have any luck. The filipes is supposed to look just like the capillaris but bloom earlier in the season. I got my one clump of M. capillaris as a gallon for $3 at the Johnston Community College's greenhouse. If you think of it remind me later in spring and I'll check to see if they have any this year. You might can get it that cheap yourself from BB but that's the best deal I've seen for it.

Shari

Grandy, NC(Zone 8a)

Shari,

what steps are you taking in wintersowing. How do you prepare the soil? I would like to try something similar. I believe you can buy pink muhly grass seed. I have a similar vision to adeles - the sun sets over our backyard backlighting everything.

Nancy

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Nancy, I am using traditional wintersowing method . 2 liter bottles cut almost in half so that the top hinges back( holes poked in bottom for drainage) filled at least 3 inches deep with Miracle gro potting mix which I soak down then let drain, place the seeds on the surface and spray in for good contact w/the soil then duct tape the top in place and remove the cap. Leave them outside in an eastern exposure until I get germination. I have not tried this with Muhly grass seed before but since I've had good luck doing other seeds this way I thought I would try it with some of the seed. I started some switchgrass from seed late spring last year in just the bottom of a 2 liter bottle (open) that was shaded slightly from the sun.

I know someone who is doing the seed sowing in situ this winter by putting clear plastic domes like you get with some fast foods etc over the seeds in the ground and placing a rock over it to keep it in place until the seed germinates. Again, I don't know specifically about Muhly grass doing well this way so I would just try it with some and follow directions provided for the rest of the seed . I have read on another forum that it takes a while for most grasses to get to a mature stage from seed but I would think that you could use annual grasses this year to have something to enyoy while you start any perennial grasses. A classic lovely look for the coast I think.

Shari

Grandy, NC(Zone 8a)

Shari,

Clever! Both of them. Of course it blows like crazy here so I might have to anchor things down. I have so much yard, I think I will try this towards the back .

I'm also looking at ordering some plugs although my husband who grew up on a farm in Idaho is very skeptical. I'll try just a few to see how it works.

I have been using the "color Encyclop3edia of Ornamental Grasses' by Rick Darke - beautiful, very extensive, with great photos. The most practical book I've found is called the Carolinas Gardener's Guide by Toby Bost and Jim Wilson.

I also do a lot of Google image searches to find ideas. My favorite design photos are at http://www.bernardtrainor.com/flash/flash.html

Bernard Trainor is a west coast landscaper. I like his use of grasses, perennials in an informal setting. I wish I could identify all the plants he has selected. I downloaded his brochure (pdf). He also writes some articles for a couple of papers.

good morning from windy currituck

Nancy

shari
i'm going to try a variety of grasses germinated in situ as you described above .. my seeds are on the way! my 1st-ever winter sowing fun.

nancy
I moved to nc 10 yrs ago and toby bost's gardener's guide was the first carolina gardening book i bought - i use it constantly. love his great companion-plants suggestions & have tried many of them to great effect. you are well-armed with that grasses encyclopedia! you'll have that beach yard planted-out in no time :)

dig

Please excuse this link from the "competition". I would use these company names and look them up on the gardenwatch dog. At least it's a place to start!

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.