New Redesigned Earthbox

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Just got a flyer in the mail today with the announcement of a newly redesigned EB. The new features include:

* More aesthetic look, in 3 colors
* New larger water reservoir
* Integrated caster sockets
* Optional caster kit available
* Optional integrated staking system
* Optional easy-to-use watering valve (available Spring 2006)

I wonder if the staking system and caster kit will work with the old school EB's? I tried their website but it didn't look updated.

Toni

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just posted this on the tomato forum: And copying here.
The EB website address is the same but the mailing address is no longer St Petersburg, FL. It's now Scranton, PA. Maybe someone got bought out, hence the improvements to the EB. While I'm writing; I think I read from someone on this forum (or maybe tomato) that one tomato plant/EB was more productive than two/EB. Anyone agree?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I looked around online and wasn't able to find any details regarding the new EB or its owners.

Regarding the 1 vs. 2 tomatoes in an EB, I've had great success with two per box. However, I grow plum sized - if you're growing one of the monster hierlooms, them maybe one per box is a better idea. That said, I'm a 'hedge your bets' guy, so I would go with two in each box, even if they were slightly less productive than one monster - you still have a chance at a harvest if one of your 2 plants succumb to disease or drunken weedwacking.

Best of luck,
Chris

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I've tried both ways and it didn't seem to make a difference. All I have to do is give the EBs lots of room for expansion and stake them very strong. The boxes were always manufactured in Pa. but sold in Fl.

Indian Trail, NC

Anyone know if the staking system is worth the extra 30 dollars of is it wise to stake with something else. I will purchase soon.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Well I decided to order one and give it a try especially after the high winds we've had for the past couple of weeks. My plants are so loaded that they just slid on down with the stakes and this is not good as I am asking for viral diseases and broken vines. However with the new system I'll not need to worry about that as the plants will be supported from the top.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Tplant, be sure to let us know how sturdy the new system is. Also, do you know if they still offer the old EB stands like KingedKing has?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I think the staking system is easily replicated, for alot cheaper. I've seen some great setups. All credit goes the the EB Masters here:

Rabbit wire fencing, staked out in an oval around the EB - as high as you need it, you can buy different hieghts in the roll, and . This works great for tomatoes, check out some of Ritchhs pictures in the really old, really long EB thread.

1x1's 'Crosses' - bases trimmed to fit the EB Holes and string ran between the arms of the cross to support plants.

I've also rigged various setups using decorative trellis', bean pole guides, and everything else not bolted down. In short, I think you can come up with an acceptable solution for alot less than 30.

Also, keep in mind if you will be moving them post-setup or not. If you will move them often, then you should probably try to figure out a setup that is portable.

Chris

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Chris, I posted this in the tomato forum also but I'll post it here too.

This is one of my DH homemade versions that I used for tomatoes and it worked well. Not as sleek looking as the official version tho.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2006 1:15 PM

Thumbnail by toni5735
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This was a set-up we used with a trellis for cucumbers. I think I'll use it for cherry tomatoes this year.

Thumbnail by toni5735
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well folks, according to Tplant, the new staking system only works on the the new EB's, so we're left to our own devices I suppose. Guess I'll stick with my homemade ones, they ain't pretty, but they work good!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Toni, that PVC framed one looks perfect, does your hubby recall the general cost to build them? I'm looking to build 10 now. Since I'm not exactly sure how the summer sun is going to fall on my backyard, it will be handy to be able to tow them around.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Chris, I'm not sure how much it cost but I know it wasn't too bad. I'll ask DH when he gets home from work. He made 3 platforms out of decking boards and put on some heavy-duty wheels that we got at the Harbor Freight store. The PVC set-up is nice b/c you can add on additional pipe and go as high as you want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.