When do I start my seeds?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I just ordered the rest of my seeds and my seed starting greenhouse kit. Do I begin attempting to grow my seeds at the beginning, middle or end of March? Or do I not start them in March? My first time growing seedlings indoors.

Thanks Gardeners!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Depends on what seeds! Cool weather crops you start sooner; warm weather later. Your local cooperative extension should have basic guidelines...?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll check into it. Thanks. What about maters and cukes?

Not yet. You need to find out what your last frost date is (mine is May 15 or so, and everyone said, "nah" last year... there was a killing frost around a week before that, so do take note of it!) and count back the number of weeks you want. For example, if you're planting tomatoes (and I strongly suggest you read the culture guidelines by Carolyn Male that I've repasted on several of the threads in that forum) and you know the plants should be six to seven weeks old at the final transplant (which should happen the week after your last frost date), you can figure that out. I plant cukes two weeks later, so I start them later. Again, the extension office should have timetables for you, and don't forget local gardeners, nurseries, etc. They're a big help.

I'm lazy, so I often use the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange guidelines; see page 3 of this PDF (I go by the "mountains" column): http://www.southernexposure.com/catalog/SESE2006.pdf

Of course, if you have coldframes or other season extenders, that can change the story considerably. Especially if you're talking about winter greens.

Casting a fond eye at my arugula, lettuce, and mizuna seedlings in the sunroom...

Zeppy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.