How close?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Occasionally someone asks how close a tree should be to their house. There is no one right answer because there are so many variables.

When planting a large-growing tree, the usual rule of thumb is 15 feet minimum. But as any gangster knows, thumbs were made to be broken.

When preserving an existing tree, the situation may be different. Here is an old elm, 16 feet in circumference, growing within arm's length of a house near here. (This is the same tree as seen on page 497 of my book, for those of you who have it.) When the concerned owner asked a few years ago if it was too close, I suggested that it ain't broke so don't fix it, even though he probably does need to reinforce his basement wall. And when he pressed the point, I said "Maybe you're right -- remove the house."

Well, the photo was taken yesterday, so I guess he decided not to remove the house after all!

Anyone else want to comment?

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Guy, is this the same elm that is pic on DED thread? I had the same thought: "you know that house might be a little too close to that tree". We have a house up here that "goes on" like a motel and about at the halfway point on a nice blank wall about 5' from the house I put an engleman spruce, espicallly cause max width was to be 10'. 6yrs later, and 4' of leader growth each year, beginning to look a little like a beanstalk. Everybody still like it, but I'm starting to think that I have created a problem for someone else. I know: "Move the house" Ken

Eau Claire, WI

That looks like a fairly contemporary house and I'm just guessing that the tree was already pretty big when they built the home. If so, what were they thinking! I don't think it's a good idea to have large trees and houses this close, but hey, I work for an insurance company. On the other hand, I'd be a lot more concerned if it was a Silver Maple or some other tree that was highly susceptible to limb breakage. If I were the homeowner I'd budget for annual (or at least bi-annual) visits from an arborist to determine health of tree and deal with problems sooner than later, but I wouldn't be able to part with it (assuming it's healthy).

Bob

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

It may be okay for folks who dont have to deal with hurricanes to plant a large tree 15ft from thier house. But for people who are in a hurricane zone, or any other high wind zone for that matter I wouldn't recommend planting one within 35ft. I have seen a hundred or so cases where trees have fell on homes. As long as the top part of the tree(the canopy) falls on it, it seems to rest on top of the house and do minor damage. But if a tree trunk about 2-3ft diameter falls into the side of the house, it's totalled. I will try to post some pictures of this.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Guy!

I guess in this case the house is a lot younger than the tree; it looks like one of those cheap prefab things that wouldn't be too difficult to move if he wanted to.

The big problem is going to be if/when the tree dies (is it a DED-resistant individual?) - once the tree is removed, there is a risk of ground heave as any clay in the soil becomes saturated with water no longer being taken up by the tree. This will only be significant if the soil is clay-rich, though. Any heave could do serious damage to the foundations.

Resin

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm guessing it's an old house with crappy 1960s aluminum siding? If so, it's just like mine! Magnificent tree. Hopefully it's enough west and enough away from other elms that it has no exposure to DED.

Scott

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, it's the same tree. Most of you who have participated on our local tree tours have seen it in person. The house is an older home that was resided, but not as old as the tree. And the current owner does have the tree visited regularly by a certified arborist, who told him "I would never cut that tree down! I'll prune it for you, and inspect it for you, and cable it if necessary, but if you ever want it murdered you'll have to find an another assasin!" (That assasin would need about $10,000 to do the job.)

Escambia is right, and many people don't consider this -- if large trees fall in a bad storm, tree tops knock off gutters but tree trunks crush framing. All the more reason to keep it healthy and inspect it regularly. In this case, healthy American elms in general are known for their outstanding ability to stand up to wind, and the root system of this tree is well anchored except on the house side. This means if it falls at all it is likely to fall in the other direction (roots anchor by tensile strength). Prevailing winds here also blow from the house toward the tree, not the other way.

Every other mature elm within sight of this tree has died, but this one lives on. I just sent scions to another forum person in Minnesota, who will graft it and then test it for resistance. I took the photos while I was over there collecting the wood. Once the jury is back I'll post an update, but that probably won't be until next year.

Hey Resin! Welcome aboard! It's about time you showed up over here from GW! (Now tell us how far the tree can be from the house, in meters!) The area is well-enough drained so that water damage is not a serious threat in this case. The real concern about the foundation wall is root pressure (it's a block wall). He plans to pour a reinforcing pilaster on the inside if/when necessary. I also told him about possible air-spade work to expose the surface of the wall and examine any contacting roots.

Guy S.

Metuchen, NJ

Guy,
That's a very nice photo. The house adds a nice dimension to it, and the people give the whole thing scale and humanity. Sky and background trees define the season. May be off topic, but I like to point out good photography when I see it. (Oh, and of course, it illustrates the topic better than words ever could.)

Cheers,
Joulz

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks -- that kudo came from someone who knows pics!

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is an example of a tree far enough from the house so that the weight of the tree is evenly distibuted across the roof of the home. There is minor damage here.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is a picture a house that had a large tree trunk fall onto it. I have seen it get alot worse than this. I have seen some homes completely cut in half. This tree was not very close to the house, but it is a loblolly pine which has a large trunk most of the height of the tree, unlike most hardwoods which start branching off at about 15ft.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy

Ouch!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, bummer.
Shoulda moved the house!

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.