black cherry picture

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I thought I would post this picture of a black cherry tree that I have. I have always found it interesting because of the bark. It doesn't look like the typical black cherry. The bark almost looks like some type of birch.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Is it really Prunus serotina, escambiaguy? I have lots of them on my property and they all have typical bark. I did a google image search and couldn't match the bark there.
RBB

I have never seen anything like that. Way cool if it really is a cherry of any type. I toohave Black Cherry here that all has the typical bark.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have black cherries everywhere around here and this is the only one that looks like this. It is growing in a shady spot under some oaks. Sorry about the picture, it didn't realize I made it so big. LOL

Here's the bark of one of my Black Cherries-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you made it big. Easier to examine the details.

Eau Claire, WI

Do the flowers, fruit and foliage all jibe with Black Cherry? I've got one about the same size, which I think is pretty typical.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm positive it's a black cherry. It just seems to be hanging on to the whitish colored bark longer than most. I suspect that when it grows older it will start to look more typical. It looks like it may have some black knot disease in the upper branches so unfortunately it may not live long enough to find out.

Is there any way you can cut the branches infected with black knot off right now and burn them? Maybe get an extension ladder and get up there to get them? You might want to make your cuts about 6" below the knot. If you go this route, dip your tools in a mild dillution of bleach before you cut another limb. You can spray with Lysol too. I've heard that is equally as effective.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.