Interbay mulch system and composting generally

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi--read about interbay mulch system on a DG forum and went to website. It seems really doable for me--even tho my actual gardening area is about 40% of my 10 x 10 raised deck and will be in containers, I can do the mulch (same as compost?) hidden from sight on the ground under some thick foliage by my cat's stairway up to deck. My question--remember I am a total beginner--do I just start spreading the compost materials on the ground or do I need something to lay on the ground first or need a compost container where I layer everything? If I can just start laying composting material on the ground, do I need to prepare the ground in some way? I have seen people with large gardens just have their compost materials thrown on a big pile. It will be a small area because I am starting small as this is my first time outside.

Also, I am putting in many hours every day trying to learn as fast as I can, feeling a bit overwhelmed but I know it will get better. Each container will have a different herb or plant so that means soil mixtures have to be plant-specific which means a variety of soil mixtures--right? I change my mind every day--ha ha--right now I am thinking a lot of basil, oregano, mint, something pretty that will climb the poles holding up the awning over my deck ( I won't have direct overhead sun but still very sunny approx 2 feet in on 2-1/2 sides of deck, mostly south from May to mid-Sept) something to attract butterflies, and I just adore begonias. Thanks a bunch. Indyfilmz

p.s. push me in any direction, I am grateful for all the help I can get.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

indyfilmz, I'm not an expert but I've done a little composting. I have had a bin for 10 or 15 years. I add to it all summer, and put it to sleep in the fall and never touch it till spring. By then it's beautiful compost. If you just mix greens, browns, a little moisture, and air, organic matter will all rot eventually. If you actively manage it year-round you can produce a lot. I never seem to have enough, but I'm still not going to get out there in the winter!

Last fall I tried my hand at interbay mulch and can't say enough good things about it. It's just composting insitu, where you want the stuff to end up, and cover it with burlap. I did that in October and those 2 beds now are covered in compost already. I guess our warm winter has helped. And the lazy gardener in me is pleased not to have to shovel it into place.

Just do a little research on what ingredients to use and in what proportions, then decide where you want it to be. You can use and enclosed bin, pallets, a plastic garbage can with holes drilled, and some people even use plastic garbage bags. It's not rocket science, not difficult unless you make it so. Don't fret; it's fun if you make it so.

There is a soil and compost forum here on DG where you can probably get lots of good information. Many compost folks are passionate about it and anxious to share their expertise. I'm new so I don't know many people here but I'll bet you could get lots of good info there.

Above all composting is fun and rewarding. Enjoy!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.