Field Trip! California Carnivores

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I had the opportunity to visit California Carnivores yesterday, it's only about 40 minutes from here in lovely Sebastopol. Aside from the standard HD variety of Venus Fly Traps, my exposure to Carnivores was nil!
I got an eye-full despite the dormancy of many plants. Superb eye candy! I highly recommend a visit if you have a chance.

I wish I had names of plants for you, but alas I tend to hang out with begonias not carnivores. But I feel a change coming on! I'm a proud parent of Ping pirouette.

The owner, Peter was a wealth of info and sent me home with a begonia cutting to boot! If you don't have his book, it's a beauty! Full of photos!

http://www.californiacarnivores.com/index.html

Enjoy.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 8:46 AM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Chime in with names if you know them. I surely don't.

A close up.

Sundew

some pitcher plant

The Ping Mother-stock

More Pings

And more.

Ping flower.

Ping in an abalone shell

cutie pie Pings

A beauty! I thought 'Echiveria' - love the pattern.

No idea, but loved the red/blue contrast!

Again, no idea, but what a beauty.

Close up of the droplets.

Green!

Red

Red up close

Red Pitcher

C'mon in the water's warm

More nursery shots

It's a Ping Pool Party!

Nursery area

Teeny tiny flowers.

Another Ping, I think I'm in love!

Another

I'll be back in the spring for one of these!

Is that dinner on that leaf?

Red droplets

Close up

Heliamphora minor x herterodoxa, ok I know one!

Sign of the above plant

Looks like a campanula flower.

Congratulations on being a new mommy!

Quoting:
But I feel a change coming on! I'm a proud parent of Ping pirouette

Yup!
Quoting:
Superb eye candy!

And this cracked me up-
Quoting:
It's a Ping Pool Party!

Welcome! I love the Ceph you photographed and I too love the contrast in color.

The End

I dont know what a Ceph is, which photo is it? If you can give me the name, I'll update my photo on my puter to not say 'untitled_4.jpg'

The plant is a Cephalotus follicularis. You referred to it above as having good red/blue contrast. I don't grow any of those so I'd have to poke around to be able to take a stab at telling you which cultivar it might be but there are members here who will be able to tell you what it is just by looking at the photo.

I do see a magnificent Drosophyllum lusitanicum above in your photos which happens to be one I'd actually like to try to grow someday.

Lots of Drosera too. I think I see a D. aliciae in and amongst your photos. Quite a few D. capensis and I think I see a D. capensis red and those are pretty easy to grow so you might want to consider picking up a few of those.

I have a particular fondness for Sarracenia but most of those would have been down for the count at this time of year.

Glad you love ping a lings. I do too. I see a P. moranensis in your photos and one of your photos shows stakes with the binomial and those do look like P. esseriana and P. potasiensis to me. But, he doesn't ever mislabel plants so if you ever see a plant labeled as abc, you can take it to the bank that the plant is abc. Looks as if he has a lot of Pings! I love those Pings and particularly the Mexican pings which he seems to have a lot of.

I recognize those little blooms in your one photo as being Utricularia sandersonii 'Blue". I love those and a have a pot of that.

If you want to have people try to id them for you, you might want to start individual threads on the plants you are most interested in because it looks like you had too much fun over at Peter's place snapping away with glee ;) Welcome to our world! When we get to good nurseries that have all that eye candy we snap away with wild abandon too. I hope you go back and buy many plants. We love other addicts.

I'll be going back for sure. We might want to copy his greenhouse when I upgrade! He says he never heats it even when it got down to 28º. The tripple wall roofing material works like a charm. Says he has a heater, never used it. That's my kind of greenhouse. He does however use the giant swamp cooler in the summer. LOTS!

I dont know what in the heck you said above, it's all Greek to me, but next time I go back, I'll take a photo of the plant and then take a photo of the tag! Duh, don't know why I didn't do more of that this time except I had a non plant friend with me who after ten minutes went to sit in the car. Phhht! Note to self, next nursery visit, go alone or take another addict with you!!! So I felt hurried and quickly snapped and asked a few questions and then had to get going.

I have to make sure I can keep my ping alive before I invest more $$ into this plant world. I love it, but not sure if my greenthumb extends to carnivores. I should have bought the book!!

He did tell me how to take care if my little ping. so hopefully I'll have success!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

thanks for taking the photos! I must pay a visit next time. Of course, I just booked a flight through SF and could have made time for a visit, but it'll have to wait.

It's best to take someone more addicted than you, just so you have plenty of time to browse and then more time for photos, while your more-addicted buddy is still shopping. I did that yesterday and got a few photos in.

The pools look really funny!

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

These Pings are incredible!
I am going to have to try and find one myself!
I have never tried any of the carnivorous plants ..Heck can they act as pest strips for my AVS? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.