Horse Manure and Clay Soil N. Cali Question.

Walnut Creek, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been mixing horse manure into the bed that I grow tomatoes/ basil/ peppers in.
I have also mixed 20 gallons of coffee grounds from a local coffee store into it.
The soil is based on clay. Soft in the winter from rain... hard as rock in the summer with out water.

The horse manure I have been getting from a local ranch already has worms living in it, when I get it. believe that!
I have 3.5 more months before planting and 2 more months of rainy season to wash out things in the soil.
What is a way to make the soil most ready for growing?
What can I mix into it? Sawdust?
How do I neutralize the ph of manure and clay mixture... ?
I have done ph tests and It is ph.5 currently from 3 dif tests in the last week.

I have attached an image of one of the areas I have been mixing horse manure into..
you can see the artichoke plants there are doing ok,,,

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 2:42 AM

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 2:51 AM

Thumbnail by amisun
Denver, CO

ph 5 !? Did you use the same test-system? I suggest taking a sample to your extension office. That is very acid, and just too bad. Fighting pH is not only an uphill battle, it's up-mountain.

Some info: Horse manure is mildly acidic with great use. But one good application will not turn out bad at all. Coffee grounds are suprisingly near-neutral. The best way to fix any problem is to add as much organic matter as possible. This is escpecially important with clay (poorly structured, lacking oxygen). Course material like fine bark chips will help. Your worms are extrmely useful in-ground. With 3.5 months to go, I suggest mixing in everything you have right now and as much more as possible. Plants will tolerate other problems (like pH) if they have more organic matter (richer soil).

Amendment will also solve your summer-hardness problem. I can relate: use mulch in the summer, like straw, woodchips, or leaves.

If I can say one more time: Amend! Amend! Amend! Hopefully your soil is undergoing a temporary acid-fluxuation that will end before spring. Mixing a bit of lime in there will make sure of it.
Good luck and wishing you the best crops next year!
K. James

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

what about lime on there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.