Fruit Tree Recommendations

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am working on project in which I am putting a lot of raised beds. The beds will be used primarily for veggies.. I've sited them so that the y take maximum advantage of the sun and how it passes over our property.

i left more thn enoungh room around the perimeter of all my planting spaces for some fruit trees. While their placement won't throw shade onto my beds, I don't want huge them to get to large (8-10 FT max).

Can anyone recommend some trees that will meet my needs and will be easy for a newbie to get established?

Thanks
BB

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure how common it is in your area but Pawpaw cultivars might keep within the size you're looking for. I also think you can find most varieties grafted on dwarf rootstock for easy pickin's. I think this question might be better forwarded to the fruit & nut forum.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

BB, while I can't recommend specific varieties I know that apple trees come in dwarf heigth and incredible shortened width holding regular size fruit very close to the trunk. These are so columnar as to almost not casting a shadow. Sited in a "postage stamp" back yard in a busy town nearby, no more than 6' tall 12" overall dia w/ 12-15 apples on each in the planted year. Yard was just off the main street and fenced not only for critters but tourists as well. So, what you are looking for is out there in apples maybe other fruit as well. been a long time since I tried fruit trees but these looked just like they were made for your situation. Start w/ your extension agent. Ken

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I was thinking dwarf apples too, for the Bronx, but then I looked at BB's real location -- Georgia. Apples have a tough time meeting their cooling requirement down there, except maybe for a few like Arkansas Black. And you need to be careful about pawpaws because they might start suckering up into your beds. How about peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums, and maybe something different like kaki persimmons or filberts?

I agree with Growin -- check into the other forum and talk to folks who specialize in fruits. Also ask your local extension agent for advice.

Guy S.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2006 5:27 PM

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you everyone

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

The "bruce" plum is popular around here. It is a hybrid between the native chickasaw plum and the japanese plum. It combines the compact tree size of the native with the larger fruit size of the japanese. I have seen them at Home Depot, Lowes, and even Wal-Mart. The "santa rosa" is another good hybrid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.