Virus help needed

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

My daughter called and said her monitor wasn't working, I figured that was a simple fix but of course it couldn't be that easy. The monitor is working and goes into standby mode like it's not getting information from the PC. CDRW and DVDRW draws won't open either. She finally told me what happened right before the PC went out on her. She said a gray calender popped up on her desktop and replaced her current desktop. The computer started running real slow so she shut it down for the night. When she booted it back up the next day she had no viewable desktop eventhough the PC seemed to be running. This is what brings me to believe there is an ugly virus in the machine.

My question is how do I remove a virus when I can't use the monitor? Does anyone have any other suggestions what this might be? I thought of reinstalling windows but I can't use the cd drawers since they won't open. I even thought of buying and installing a new hardrive for her.

Dott

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!