Anemone dahlias

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Annie,
I'm going to continue this over here, JL really needs to be here.
Anyway I consider these the 'ugly ducklings' of dahlia.
Mine seem to be short or floppy or less vigorous.
How have yours been?

I don't know the name of this one, I couldn't stake it because it hit the ground running.
Sorry I had to mega zoom as it didn't warrant it's own photo.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here is another one 'Siemen Doornbosch'. I got a few flowers off it, kinda sad looking.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Al et al,
I think I only have one anemone "Riverdance" as I said, but it was a champion. Vigorous plant 3.5 x 3.5 x 3.5 ft full of flowers and worthy blooms. I really liked it enough to consider planting two next year ( where, is a different question!)
Don't know what to tell you about the flopping. Perhaps just the variety you got that isn't so robust? Some of the shorter ones- bedding dahlias, or border dahlias are just meant to looked at, not to cut. Would one of those grow-through hoops work for your flopper as it got taller?

Here's Riverdance- really a nice red and not so poofy in the middle.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I saw your Riverdance in the new VB catalog I got. It looks nice. Classwise are powder puffs seperated from anenomes?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Annie, like that 'Riverdance'.
Al, just like Annie says, those border and anemone dahlias are more or less just for looks and not bouquets. Some of mine can be kind of leggy too. I think that is just the nature of them.
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.