Please help my Frau Taiko

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

It was suggested to me to post my problem here. Apparently, ya'll are the experts. I put my Frau Taiko in the ground 3 years ago, The blooms are beautiful. But...

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Look at the thin, spindley stems. It has never been pruned. (mainly because I'm scared to) Does it need to be pruned? The leaves are yellowish. I think that it needs fertilizer, but I don't know what kind. Please help.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2006 8:23 PM

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know if you have been liming to keep your pink color nice and clear, but if you have, you may have over-sweetened the soil and the yellowing is due to chlorosis. Your plant may not be getting enough nitrogen or isn't able to use what is there because of the extreme soil pH.

Are you feeding them anything?

The plants to the left have a nice deep green color. They seem to be doing ok.

Your plants are staying on the moist side, right? Some of the yellowing on the lower leaves could be due to being too dry.

That's all I have to offer. Hope you can solve the issue.

BTW, were the pix from last summer?

Robert.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

They had miracle grow a couple of times last year. I haven't done anything for the color, just the miralce grow. They are behind a lattice screen facing towards my porch where it is a bit shadier. The yard where they are planted is western facing. It gets extremely hot and sunny. The taller and yellower one is closer to the hot sun.

These pics are from last June. I noticed last week that they are showing some green again. So they are alive out there!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

My first response is to agree with with raydio about chlorosis. Dirr suggests a product like Green Light iron and soil acidifier which contains sulfur, chelated iron, copper, and zinc. You may be over fertilizing, which is a common problem with most of us gardeners. Over fertilizing produces long, extended shoots. How much fertilizer are you applying? As a general rule, it's best to fertilize in late winter or very early spring. Dirr suggests 4 ounces of 10-10-10 scattered around the base of the plant and outward. I tend to be heavy handed, so I use time release fertilizer (12-4-8), in late winter. Don't fertilize after August, if you can resist. Is your plant getting afternoon sun? It's best to avoid that. Do you deadhead in August? That's a good practice. That's also a good time to prune, although gardeners debate pruning times forever. Just don't prune hard after early August, because it will stimulate new growth, and that growth may not be hardened off before the first frost. Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Good luck.
Ray

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry, you were posting as I was, and I was long winded.:)

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Where and how do you think I should prune it? I don't want to prune off any new blooms. Shouldn't it be larger since it has been in the ground for 3 years? I really appreciate all your replies.
Julie

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

When looking at your plant, you should see new growth nodes (swellings). If you want to prune it, prune each stem slightly above the highest growth node. If you want to help a more bushy plant grow, wait until it blooms this year, and then after the blooms dry, prune it hard near ground level. It will break your heart, but in the long term, it may make the plant a bit more bushy, and then fertilize minimally. It's best to err on the side of fertilizing less, than to err on the side of excessive fertilize. Look at the strength of your MiracleGro, I imagine it is significantly greater than 10-10-10. Try to get as close to 10-10-10 as you can. Good Luck. I am no expert, I just grow quite a few hydrangeas, and I read Michael Dirr. He's a great, practical plantsman. Basically, he says if it works for you in your garden, do it.:)

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I've noticed that my hydrangea in pots tend to be on the pale side due in part to being too dry. They do lkie good drainage and constant moisture to thrive.

Some of my potted ones have weaker side growth than the main stems. I think they need to be in a loamier soil. I've also noticed a lot of variation between different varieties and between younger plants and well-established ones.

Hope they'll grow more strongly this year.

Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.