Love winter squash?

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I have grown quite a few varieties, but mostly the readily available ones. I am planning on testing several of the Japanese and heirloom varieties this coming season. I am placing an order with Harvest Moon and Baker Creek between the two of them the varieties are staggering.

Anyone have experience and or favorites? Along with taste, i am especially interested in those that are good keepers.

Thanks,
Melissa

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Melissa,

I like Blue Hubbard & Waltham's Butternut. Both are good keepers but the Blue Hubbard is rather large, 15 - 25 lbs. Both are heirlooms/open pollinated and both keep very well.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Thanks, i've grown them both. I LOVE Waltham's butternut! I didn't have any luck the year i grew the Blue Hubbard, we had marauding ground squirrel... I think i'll try it again this year. Size doesn't scare me. We eat a lot of squash, and any we can't eat the whole thing once we cut into it, the sheep on the ranch next door don't mind finishing the job :)

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I cook the whole squash (Blue Hubbard), eat what we want, and then put the rest in Zip-Loc bags and freeze it. When you thaw it out, often months later, it tastes almost as good as fresh.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

What would we do without freezers???

I have to admit though, i've never frozen squash. I'll have to give it a try. Especially this year, i think we ended up ordering 13 winter squash varieties.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

It's great, cook it, mash it up and freeze it in Zip-Locks. It keeps exceptionally well.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ummmm - sounds soooo good!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Last year I grew Red Warty Thing, Galeux d'Eysines, North Georgia Candy Roaster, Black Futsu, Jarrahdale, Queensland Blue, Sweet Dumpling, Long Island Cheese, Greek Sweet Red, and Lakota. Previously I have grown Ambercup, but had no seeds left for last year.

I am not allowing myself any more varieties for this year and have to stay away from Baker Creek's website! We used to grow acorns and butternuts until I found all these "new" ones. Red Warty is my favorite (very sweet even without adding sugar), but we have enjoyed all of them. I also freeze cooked squash. It keeps well and tastes as good as fresh.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Patrob, Red Warty Thing? You gotta love it, just for the name. Sounds good, unfortunately not one of the ones we have this year. :(

What did you think of the Black Futsu, Jarrahdale and the Candy Roaster? I have grown several of the others. I heard a radio talk show host speaking with a culinary person who said this was "The year of the winter squash." Well it is about time! LOL I guess there are several new cookbooks out that focus on winter squash. I came into the discussion late, so i'll have to google it. I didn't catch the names of any of the cookbooks.

I realized i've always frozen cooked pumpkin when i have more than i need. It seems like a completely brainless move that i never thought of freezing other squash.

SARANAC, NY(Zone 4a)

SUNSHINE - Golden Orange outside - bright orange flesh - which is STRINGLESS - doesn't grow too big - about right to split between 2 people - quite sweet - I'd say really good - but like everything else, taste is a matter of preference: I like the taste and even if I thought it wasn't the best I'd still grow it because it is STRINGLESS - I have never found a completely stringless squash before this one.....gotta have it!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Where did you get the seeds for Sunshine? Never heard of it. Who knew there were so many squashes i didn't know i needed!

What about Butternut, don't you think it is pretty stringless? It seems pretty smooth to me. I bought seeds for Piena Di Napoli this year, can't wait to try it. This is the description.

PIENA DI NAPOLI (90 days) Forget all other butternut and similar type varieties! This is the creme of the creme! Though shaped like a butternut it has a greenish grey exterior and sweet supple orange flesh! Talk about size it is much larger at a picking size of 15 to 40 lbs on average. Pleae note if left to grow you can obtain some large yet tasty giants! Not over watery like alot of squash are and not too dry either, the perfect butternut alternative. Has a fine delicate flavor that blew us away! Large type gourmet variety! 15 seeds

Sounds good huh?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Geesh - You are so out there... I will add a few Sunshine seeds to your envelope!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Have i lost my mind? I don't remember you even mentioning it. Do i need it? Is it fabulous? Have i lost all control and will squash take over every square inch of my yard this year?

Wish i had a scanner, you would get a good laugh out of pics of previous years squash taking over the hillside (last house).

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Winter squash/pumpkins will take over your garden, yard, small children, pets, anything that gets in their way. I have to admit I bought the seeds for Red Warty Thing because a cousin and I got so tickled over the name, but it is really, really good.

Black Futsu, Jarrahdale, and North Georgia Candy Roaster are also good. The Black Futsu did not have a hazelnut flavor to us, but that is not a problem. They all made great fall decorations, and then a few at a time, I baked and froze them. We like them with just a bit of butter, a little real maple syrup and butter, or a little brown sugar and butter. They also taste great in other recipes calling for pumpkin or sweet potatoes.

I want to add more varieties, but what on earth would I do with all those squashes! I've backed off on the heirloom tomatoes for the same reason. Many of my relatives and friends are suspicious of anything they are not used to eating. :>))

Patricia

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I made some squash tonight with molasses, honey and a tiny bit of vanilla, the kids think they are eating dessert. I might have to look up that Red Warty Thing :)

Don't tell Sequee...

don't you hate it when you see a typo, just as you hit send.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2006 7:20 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

As I recall, there were several warty things - just not red! LOL!

"The squash that ate Nevada!"

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

can anyone tell me if i can grow jarrahdale and waltham in 5 gallon containers.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Easily, though they do like to "walk" around, so either need to be able to spread along the ground, up a trellis or tee pee, or along the banister. I sent you a response to your e-mail, as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.