Winter Sowing Disaster .. Thank goodness for the Greenhouse!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here in Summerville, SC we had an usually warm last week .. highs in the 70! .. two weeks before I winter sowed all of my seeds. Imagine my horror when I checked on them the other day to discover some were sprouting! What sprouted were morning glory (blue picotee), sweetpea, malope, and hibiscus. I moved the in a hurry ones into the greenhouse and will pot them up when they get a little bigger.

This is my 2nd winter with my GH .. not only do I use it for the plants, I use it for me to help with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I put a chaise lounge in the middle and will bake myself on really cold days along with the anoles in 90 degree temps and humidity.

I have a 9 x 7 GreenThumb greenhouse. I use a forced fan space heater coupled with a portable thermostat for heat. I do not heat for growing, just don't freeze temps,

Byron, GA

Had the same problem here in GA. Unseasonal temps prompted marigolds, dwarf morning glory, asclepias, coneflower, and others to sprout. Transplanted many already and they are growing under lights in the basement. Some will go to the gh but there is little room available because I have brugs covering most of the floor space. What a year!
Digs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.